Ben E. Lewis personal papers
Ben E. Lewis personal papers
Dates: 1944-2003, bulk 1988-2003
Contains annual volumes of randomly organized reminiscences of his life, including childhood in Salt Lake City and Provo, Utah; scouting; family; missionary service; education and profession; the building of the Provo and Jordan River temples; and work at Brigham Young University, including interactions with Ernest L. Wilkinson and Dallin H. Oaks. Also includes addresses and poems by Lewis, an oral history, and Lewis family history. Materials dated 1944-2003 (bulk: 1988-2003).
- Extent: 3 boxes (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lewis, Ben E. (Ben Elden), 1913-2005
- Call Number: MSS 2203
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Ben E. Lewis personal papers must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2203; Ben E. Lewis personal papers; Brigham Young 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2203, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Ben E. Lewis in 1988. Additional volumes donated by Angus H. Belliston in 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ben E. Lewis; 1988. Donated; Angus H. Belliston; 2015.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2203.xml
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Provo (Utah); Lewis, Ben E. (Ben Elden), 1913-2005; Missionary Training Center (Provo, Utah); Oaks, Dallin H.; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Northern States Mission; Brigham Young University--Administration; Marriott, J. Willard (John Willard), 1900-1985; Wilkinson, Ernest L., 1899-1978
- Genre / Form
- Autobiographies; Oral histories
- Processing Information
- Processed; Brian D. Reeves; March 2000.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lewis (Ben E.) personal papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Brian D. Reeves
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-06-28 13:52:48 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Ben E. Lewis (1913-2005) was an executive vice president of Brigham Young University.
Ben Eldon Lewis was born November 16, 1913 to George William and Olena Dorothea Kempe Lewis in Mesa, Arizona. He married Barbara Rae Wootton on October 4, 1944 in Salt Lake City. They eventually had five children: Linda, Stephen, James, Mary Anne, and John. Lewis attended Brigham Young University, where he was elected student body president, and then the University of Denver, where he earned a Master's degree. He was employed by Hot Shoppes, Inc., which later became the Marriott Corporation, for seven years. In 1952, he returned to BYU to work in administration, eventually being promoted to executive vice president. Lewis was active in his community and his church, serving as the London England mission president for three years and participating in the Provo City Planning commission for seven years.
Lewis passed away in Provo, Utah, on October 20, 2005.
Latter-day Saint missionary in Northern States Mission, 1934-1936; student at Brigham Young University, 1936-1940; executive vice-president of BYU and director of BYU Auxiliary Services, 1952-1979; president of England London Mission, 1979-1981.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Box/folder in MSS 2203
box 1 folder 1
I remember : a beginning / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1988 December
box 1 folder 2
I remember : volume 2, a continuation / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1989 December
box 1 folder 3
I remember : volume III / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1990 December
box 1 folder 4
I remember : volume IV / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1991 December
box 1 folder 5
I remember : volume V / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1992 December
box 1 folder 6
I remember : volume VI / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1993 December
box 1 folder 7
I remember : volume VII / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1994 December
box 2 folder 8
I remember : volume VIII / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1995 December
box 2 folder 9
I remember : volume IX / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1996 December
box 2 folder 10
I remember : volume X / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1997 December
box 2 folder 11
I remember : volume XI / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1998 December
box 2 folder 14
I remember : volume XIV / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 2001 December
box 2 folder 12
I remember : volume XII / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 1999 December
box 2 folder 13
I remember : volume XIII / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 2000 December
box 2 folder 15
I remember : volume XV / Ben E. Lewis
Dates: 2002 December
box 3 folder 1
I remember : volume XVI / Ben E. Lewis
box 3 folder 2
Washington, D.C., the Cinderella City
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts