Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman papers
Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman papers
Includes handouts, notes, lecture material, exams, class rolls, and other materials used in political science courses. Also includes photocopies of laws, judicial practices, state constitutions and other information pertaining to political science. Also includes drafts of his biography of David M. Kennedy. Personal papers include correspondence, poetry, yearbooks, and other memorabilia. Collection also contains personal photographs and some matching negatives. Dated 1925-2015.
- Extent: 14 cartons (14 linear ft.). -- 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (0.75 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize folders (0.2 linear ft.). -- 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hickman, Martin B. (Martin Berkeley), 1925-1991. -- Hickman, JoAnn E. (JoAnn Emmett)
- Call Number: MSS 2206
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; University Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in three series: 1. Martin B. Hickman professional papers, 1960-1989. 2. Martin B.and JoAnn E. Hickman personal papers, 1925-2015. 3. Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman personal photographs, 1930-1997.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2206; Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman papers; University Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2206, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials in first nine cartons of the collection were donated by one of the creators JoAnn Hickman in 2002. The materials in cartons 10 through 14 were donated by Allison Hickman Warner, a daughter of Martin and JoAnn Hickman, in 2012. Materials in carton 15 of the collection were donated by Patricia Hickman Benn, a daughter of Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman, in 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; JoAnn Hickman; 2002. Donated; Allison Hickman Warner; August 28, 2012. Donated; Patricia Hickman Benn; December 29, 2015.
- Other Finding Aids
- A more detailed finding aid of series 1 is available in print in the repository. A box-level inventory is available online.
- Related Material
- Additional information on Martin B. Hickman's military experiences may be found in the Martin Hickman papers (MSS 3054, 20th Century Repository).
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Church Educational System; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Hickman, Martin B. (Martin Berkeley), 1925-1991; Hickman, JoAnn E. (JoAnn Emmett); Brigham Young University. Department of Political Science (1921-1979); Brigham Young University--Faculty; Kennedy, David Matthew, 1905-1996
- Genre / Form
- Papers (Document genres); Biography; Lecture notes; Letters; Letters of administration; Color photographs; Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Brian D. Reeves and Heather Robins; 2000. Addendum to collection processed and collection to series level; McKinley Griffin, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, curator; November 2015. Collection processed to file level; McKinley Griffin, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, curator; January 4, 2016. Addendum to collection processed January 21, 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- Faculty (University Archives Collection Development Policy, August 2015).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hickman (Martin B. and JoAnn E.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Brian D. Reeves and Heather Robins
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-06-09 10:01:35 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Martin B. Hickman (1925-1991) was a Mormon political science professor and academic administrator in Utah.
Martin Berkeley Hickman was born on May 16, 1925, in Monticello, Utah. He married JoAnn Emmett on August 1, 1950, and they had six daughters. He received his Bachelor of Science degree, with honors, from the University of Utah in 1951, his Master’s Degree in 1952, and his Ph.D. in 1954. He has served in the U.S. Department of State, as consular and economic officer in Germany and in Hong Kong. He has worked as an associate professor of international relations and as a professor of political science at Brigham Young University. In 1970, Hickman became dean of the College of Social Sciences at Brigham Young University and director of the Jerusalem Center for Near Eastern Studies. He died on October 14, 1991, in Provo, Utah.
JoAnn E. Hickman (1929-2012) was a Mormon wife and mother in Utah.
JoAnn Emmett Hickman was born on March 12, 1929, in Logan, Utah, to parents Henry Roland Emmett and Harriet Dudley. JoAnn married Martin Berkeley Hickman August 1, 1950, in Logan, Utah. Together they has 6 daughters. Martin was a professor and a dean at Brigham Young University, and JoAnn accompanied him on trips with students and/or friends to the Middle East. JoAnn died 21 years after her husband, on June 10, 2012.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2206
Martin B. Hickman professional papers
Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman personal papers
Martin B. and JoAnn E. Hickman personal photographs
Help with this Collection
University Archivist - University Archives