Jordan Tanner papers
Jordan Tanner papers
Dates: bulk 1990-1999, approximately 1989-2001
Collection includes newspapers, correspondence, newsletters, cassette tapes, pamphlets, foreign coins, articles, and other materials documenting the professional service of Jordan Tanner. The majority of the collection is Tanner's legislative papers from his service as a Utah State Representative, from 1990 to 2000. It also contains materials from his career in the Foreign Service and other memorabilia from his life. Collection spans from circa 1989 to 2001, with bulk 1990 to 1999.
- Extent: 19 cartons (19 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (1 linear ft.). -- 1 media box (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Tanner, Jordan
- Call Number: MSS 2257
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into six series: 1. Jordan Tanner papers 1989-1992, 1989-1992. 2. Jordan Tanner papers 1993-1994, 1993-1994. 3. Jordan Tanner papers 1995-1996, 1995-1996. 4. Jordan Tanner papers 1997, 1997. 5. Jordan Tanner papers 1998-1999, 1998-1999. 6. Jordan Tanner papers 2000-2001, 2000-2001.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Jordan Tanner papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2257; Jordan Tanner papers; 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2257, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Jordan Tanner in 2000, 2004, and 2005.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Jordan Tanner; 2000, 2004, and 2005.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2257.xml
- Subject Terms
- Tanner, Jordan--Archives; United States. Foreign Service; Utah. Legislature; International Relations; Politics, Government, and Law; Provo (Utah)
- Genre / Form
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Coins; Letters; Newsletters; Souvenirs (Keepsakes)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa Cowles, student processor and John Murphy, curator; 2008. Series created; Garrett Schroath; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah political history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.I, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Tanner (Jordan) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Melissa Cowles
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T11:02-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Jordan Tanner (born 1931) was an American foreign service officer and Utah State Representative.
Jordan Tanner received a business degree from the University of Utah. When he received his bachelor's he was also commissioned as an ensign in the US Navy. He spent the next two years aboard the USS Hornet. This was the first time he had spent a significant amount of time outside of Utah and began a new love for international work. He attended the University of California in Berkeley and obtained a master's in business administration. While studying there a professor suggested he look into the Foreign Service. He took this professor's advice and served for twenty-seven years as a Foreign Service officer. He married Pat in September of 1960 and then reported to Washington D.C. the next month for Foreign Service training. While a Foreign Service officer he served in Korea, Indonesia, Pakistan, and Australia. He decided as his three sons were starting college that it was time to return to the United States and did so in 1988. In 1990 he was elected to the Utah House of Representatives representing District sixty-three in east Provo. He served as a representative for ten years. He also volunteered as an adjunct professional at the David M. Kennedy Center for International Studies at Brigham Young University.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2257
Jordan Tanner papers 1989-1992
Jordan Tanner papers 1993-1994
Jordan Tanner papers 1995-1996
Jordan Tanner papers 1997
Jordan Tanner papers 1998-1999
Jordan Tanner papers 2000-2001
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts