Abel Alexander Dewitt collection
Abel Alexander Dewitt collection
The collection contains two holograph missionary journals (April 16-November 14, 1903 and November 15, 1903-April 21,1904) kept by DeWitt on his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Oklahoma and nearby states. Also included are two holograph journals (July 29, 1897-November 30, 1900 and 1901-1906) and an autograph book (1900-1901) kept by his wife, Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt. The collection also contains photocopies and transcriptions of the volumes. The collection also contains a photocopy of a missionary journal kept by Ruth's father, Christopher Jensen Kempe, during his mission to Denmark (1899), and a published volume entitled Treasures in Heaven, a biography of Niels Eskildz, which mentions Kempe's role in his conversion to Mormonism. Also included are transcripts of Kempe's journal. Some passages in Kempe's journal are in Norwegian and English translations of those passages are included in the transcript.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1.0 linear ft.)
- Creator: DeWitt, Abel Alexander
- Call Number: MSS 2281
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- 1. Missionary journals of Abel Alexander DeWitt (original), April 1903-April 1904. 2. Journals and auotgraph book of Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt (original), 1891-1906. 3. Christopher Jensen Kempe reminiscences and missionary journal (photocopy), 1899, and mansucript of 'Treasures in Heaven,' a life history of Niels P.L. Eskildz 4. Missionary journals of Abel Alexander DeWitt (photocopies), April 1903-April 1904. 5. Journals and auotgraph book of Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt (photocopies), 1891-1906. 6. Missionary journals of Abel Alexander DeWitt (transcription), April 1903-April 1904. 7. Journals and auotgraph book of Ruth Leila Kempe DeWitt (transcription), 1891-1906. 8. Christopher Jensen Kempe reminiscences and missionary journal (transcription), 1899.
- Alternative Format
- Collection contains photocopies and transcriptions of original journals, including translations where necessary.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Abel Alexander Dewitt collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services. and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2281; Abel Alexander Dewitt collection; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2281, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The journals and photocopies were donated to Brigham Young University by Ruth Wake, the daughter of Abel Alexander DeWitt. Transcripts were prepared by L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ruth Wake. Prepared; L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Other Finding Aids
- A more detailed finding aid is available in print in the repository.
- Subject Terms
- Brigham Young Academy--Students--History--Sources; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Scandinavia; DeWitt, Ruth Leila Kempe, 1880-1943; Kempe, Christopher Jensen, 1837-1901; Religion; Holbrook (Ariz.); Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Norway; Mormon missionaries--Oklahoma; Mormon women; Mormon women--Utah--History--Sources
- Genre / Form
- Autobiographies; Diaries
- Processing Information
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Dewitt (Abel Alexander) collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Susan Corrigan
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:29-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Abel Alexander DeWitt, 1865-1953, was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Oklahoma and nearby states from 1903-1904.
comments powered by Disqus