Wesley P. Lloyd papers
Wesley P. Lloyd papers
The collection contains photocopies of seven journals dating from 1929-1958 and miscellaneous papers, 1939-1977. The papers are mostly published articles written by Lloyd on education and religious themes, and education in Japan.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Lloyd, Wesley P. (Wesley Parkinson), 1904-1977
- Call Number: MSS 2312
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2312; Wesley P. Lloyd papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2312, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The collection was donated on 10 November 1986 by Gary Lloyd.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Gary Lloyd; 1986.
- Other Finding Aids
- Folder-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2312.xml
- Subject Terms
- Lloyd, Wesley P. (Wesley Parkinson), 1904-1977; Roberts, B. H. (Brigham Henry), 1857-1933; Chicago (Ill.); Church Educational System; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Education--Japan; Education--United States; Mormon Church--Missions--East (U.S.); New York (N.Y.); Provo (Utah)
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Diaries; Interviews; Photocopies
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lloyd (Wesley P.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-04-27T04:02-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Wesley P. Lloyd (1904-1977) was an American college administrator.
Wesley Parkinson Lloyd was born on June 16, 1904 in Ogden, Utah to Charles E. Lloyd and Lucy Parkinson. He graduated from the Latter-day Saints' High School in Salt Lake City, Utah before attending Brigham Young University. He married Lillie (Lucille) Murdock on December 30, 1926 in Salt Lake City, Utah, and they had two children. Lloyd completed his bachelor's degree in Philosophy of Education in 1927.
After graduating he taught social studies for three years at Rexburg High School, then worked another three years as a Mormon seminary principal in Grace and Oakley, Idaho. During this time he also worked to complete a master's degree at Brigham Young University in 1934. He then continued his education at the University of Chicago, earning a Ph.D. in religion and education in 1937.
Lloyd returned to Brigham Young University in 1937, serving on the faculty of the Department of Philosophy of Education from 1937 to 1969. He also served in a variety of administrative roles, including department chair (1937-1944), Dean of Men (1938-1944), Dean of Students (1944-1960), and Dean of the Graduate School (1960-1969). After retiring from BYU, he worked as the dean of the United States International University (1969-1972), director of California Western College (1972-1976), and chair of the Center for Leadership Education (1974-1977). Lloyd died on March 7, 1977 in La Jolla, California.
comments powered by Disqus