Abraham Alonzo Kimball family papers
Abraham Alonzo Kimball family papers
This collection contains two journals belonging to Abraham Kimball, Sr. which record his missionary service from 1877-1879 and papers which include personal and Church related papers spanning the years between 1887-1888. Also included in the collection are family patriarchal blessings and histories, as well as two journals of Abraham A. Kimball Jr. which chronicle his mission to the Southern States from 1896-1898. This collection contains personal records of the Kimball family. Included are patriarchal blessings, temple recommends, journals, and personal and Church correspondence. The primary authors are Abraham Alonso Kimball Sr. and his son, Abraham A. Kimball Jr. The contents of the collection span the years between 1875-1898.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cannon, George Q. (George Quayle), 1827-1901. -- Kimball, Abraham Alonzo, 1846-1889. -- Kimball, Abraham Alonzo, 1872. -- Smith, Joseph, 1771-1840. -- Woodruff, Wilford, 1807-1898. -- Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Call Number: MSS 2322
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open to researchers, no photocopying of patriarchal blessings or correspondences regarding temple recommends.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Abraham Alonzo Kimball family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2322; Abraham Alonzo Kimball family papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2322, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The contents of the collection were in the possession of Rose Kimball Black, a daughter of Abraham A. Kimball, Jr. until December 2000. They remained with descendants of Abraham A. Kimball, Jr., until donated to L. Tom Perry Special Collections 8 October 2001.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Jane Collette and Joe Black;
- Other Finding Aids
- Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2322.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; England; Kentucky; Millard County (Utah); Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormons--Utah--Millard County; Ohio
- Genre / Form
- Patriarchal blessings (Mormon Church)
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Kimball (Abraham Alonzo) family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-24T04:11-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Abraham Alonzo Kimball was the son of Heber C. and Clarissa Cutler Kimball. He was born April 6, 1846 in Nauvoo, Hancock County, Illinois. He lived with his grandparents in Iowa until 1862, when he came to Utah. He was baptized in 1863 and served two missions. The first mission was to Iowa in 1863,the second to England from 1877-1879. Abraham practiced polygamy. He married Mary Eliza Hatton Kimball in 1866, Lucy Brown in 1874, and Laura Moody in 1882. To these three marriages were born fourteen children, Abraham Kimball, Jr. among them. Abraham kept a series of journals and personal papers which recorded his time as a missionary, as well as his experiences as a Bishop in the Kanosh ward of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Abraham A. Kimball, Sr. died September 24, 1889, of lung complications.
comments powered by Disqus