David L. Laughlin research files
The new site is available at http://archives.lib.byu.edu
David L. Laughlin research files
This collection contains research files, correspondence, bibliographical data, photographs, theses, and photocopies of manuscript documents concerning the history of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Texas in the 19th and early 20th century. A majority of the research files focus on Lyman Wight and the LDS Colony he established. Other subjects include milling in Texas and early LDS pioneers George Miller, Davis Henry Bays, Charles Waldo Bays, and Robert Franklin McBride. The collection also includes the research files and thesis of Herman Hale Smith. The geographical areas of research are mainly Tyler, Orange, and Bandera Counties, and the towns of Gilmer, Kelsey, Bandera, and Zodiac. Mr. Laughlin conducted research in numerous repositories including the Barker Library, the library at the University of Texas in Austin, Texas State Library, various municipal libraries and various private family and ranch libraries.
- Extent: 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Laughlin, David L.. -- Smith, Heman Hale
- Call Number: MSS 2327
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: This collection may be used only with permission of the Supervisor of the Reference Services, L. Tom Perry Special Collections. The collection includes photocopies obtained from archives that prohibit additional photocopying. When copies are clearly identified (stamped or with a written notice), patrons must seek permission to copy from the institutions which holds the originals.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from David L. Laughlin research files must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2327; David L. Laughlin research files; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2327, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- This collection includes the personal research file of Mr. Laughlin and resources files assembled by himself. Laughlin donated these files to L. Tom Perry Special Collections in 2001.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; David L. Laughlin; 2001.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2327.xml
- Subject Terms
- Bays, Charles Waldo, b. 1870; Bays, Davis H., 1839-1905; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Texas; Laughlin, David L.; Smith, Heman Hale; Wight, Lyman; Bandera County (Tex.); Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion; Flour industry--Texas; Gilmer (Tex.); Kelsey (Tex.); Mormon Church--Texas; Mormons--Texas; Orange County (Tex.); Texas--History; Tyler County (Tex.); Zodiac (Tex.)
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Dissertations, Academic; Letters; Photographs
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Laughlin (David L.) research files
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-18T11:50-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
At the time this collection was assembled, David L. Laughlin worked as a reference librarian for Texas A&M University (1989-1993).
comments powered by Disqus