Facer family papers
Facer family papers
Collection contains the books, certificates, licenses, records, correspondence, and diaries written and collected by Joseph Facer. The books contained in this collection are ones that Joseph Facer carried with him on his mission to the southern United States (1897-1899) as well as books belonging to his family. Materials date from 1856 to 1977. The certificates and licenses include Joseph's missionary certificate and his license as a member of the Seventy. Correspondence is mostly letters to Joseph Facer and the other brethren in the Southern States Mission. Diaries include Joseph's diaries and mission log books and autograph books belonging to him and his wife. Also included are the genealogical records of some of Emma's ancestors. Transcripts of several documents are included.
- Extent: 1 microfilm reel (0.05 linear ft.). -- 1 ledger box (0.25 linear ft.). -- 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Facer (Family : Facer, Joseph, 1871-1961)
- Call Number: MSS 2332
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Condition restricted; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services. Patrons should use microfilm copies.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in 3 series: 1. Joseph Facer missionary diaries, correspondence, and other materials, 1885-1952. 2. Joseph and Emma Facer autograph books, 1891-1908. 3. Joseph Facer family books, 1856-1977.
- Alternative Format
- Microfilm copy available for selections from boxes 1 and 2.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Joseph Facer papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2332; Joseph Facer papers; 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University.
- Custodial History
- This collection was retained by the Facer family until donated to BYU in 2001 and 2003. The final family members holding this material were the donors. The family books donated in 2003 were given by Elmer Facer who received them from his sister Vera Facer Wilkensen who received them from William Richards.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Elmer Facer (President, George Facer Family Organization); 2001.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2332.xml
- Related Material
- See also the George Facer Family Collection (MSS 2358).
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Southern States Mission; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Arizona; Facer family; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Arizona; Mormon missionaries--Southern States
- Genre / Form
- Books; Certificates; Diaries; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Taylor M. Dix and Jonathan Farrell; 2003 and 2006.
- Appraisal Information
- 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Americana because the Joseph Facer served two missions for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, one from 1887-1899 and one from 1901-1902 and the books in the collection were collected in the 20th century.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Facer family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Taylor M. Dix and Jonathan Farrell, student processors
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T11:19-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Facer family are descendants of Joseph Facer of Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2332
Joseph Facer missionary papers
Dates: circa 1885-1952
Joseph and Emma R. Facer autograph books
Dates: circa 1891-1908
Facer family books
Dates: circa 1856-1977
box 2 folder 10
Joseph Facer article and decorative transcription of Doctrine and Covenants 121:34-36
Dates: 1952 April 20
box 2 folder 11
John Kenny Richards and Agnes Hill genealogical information
Dates: 2001 August 2
box 2 folder 12
Alexander Hill Sr. and Elizabeth Curry genealogical information
Dates: 2001 December 27
box 2 folder 13
Joseph Hill Richards and Mary Willie Richards genealogical information
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts