John Q. Cannon collection
John Q. Cannon collection
This collection contains the 1881 diary of John Q. Cannon, including a typescript, the agenda book of John Q. Cannon (though written in by Annie Wells Cannon), a talk titled, "Spirituality in the Sunday School, and two portraits of John Q. Cannon and George Q. Cannon.
- Extent: 6 folders (0.6 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cannon, John Q. (John Quayle), 1857-1931
- Call Number: MSS 2348
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- A complete item-level guide is available. (3 pp.) Worksheet drafted by David Whittaker
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2348; John Q. Cannon collection; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2348, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The material in this collection was donated on 12 September 1995 and has remained with the Cannon family and Carol Cornwall Madsen until being donated to the BYU library. Portia Whitmer (Delivered by Carol Cornwall Madsen)
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Carol Cornwall Madsen.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2348.xml
- Subject Terms
- Cannon, George Q. (George Quayle), 1827-1901; Cannon, John Q. (John Quayle), 1857-1931; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Germany; London (England); Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--Germany; Mormon Church--Missions--Switzerland; Salt Lake City (Utah)
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Lectures; Photographs
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cannon (John Q.) collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:26-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John Quayle Cannon was born on 19 April 1857 to George Q. Cannon and Elizabeth Hoagland. He married Elizabeth Anne Wells on 17 March 1880. They had twelve children. He served in the Swiss and German Mission from 1881-1884. Later, he served as second counselor in the Presiding Bishopric to William B. Preston. He was excommunicated from the LDS Church in 1886, but was later rebaptized in 1888. He served as editor-in-chief of the Deseret News and as a lietenant-colonel of cavalry during the Spanish-American War. He died on 14 January 1931 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus