George Facer Family Organization collection
George Facer Family Organization collection
Includes the farm accounting ledgers of George Facer and his son Joseph Facer, family genealogical information, and personal diary entries of George and his wife Mary Jarvis Facer. George Facer's account documents farm life and economy in Utah in the second half of the 19th century. The collection also contains the minutes of the George Facer Family Organization along with a transcript of the minutes, Facer family historical and genealogical information (including the family names of Prior, Jarvis, Brown and others from Huntingdonshire, England), a family Book of Remembrance, a newspaper article, and a Temple Record book kept by Mary Prior Facer. The latter contains family genealogical data and the dates that LDS Temple work was completed for each ancestor. The records include references to polygamist marriages. The collection documents the family living in Willard City, Utah; Cache County, Utah; Brigham City, Utah; and the Salt Lake Valley.
- Extent: 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: George Facer Family Organization
- Call Number: MSS 2358
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research. Microfilm copies are open without restriction. Access to original materials with permission from the supervisor of reference services (boxes 3-4 open without restriction).
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in 4 series: 1. Facer family records, 1776-2001; 2. George Facer Family Organization newspaper articles, 1952; 3. George Facer family genealogical information; and 4. George Facer Family Organization family books, 1883-1977.
- Alternative Format
- Microfilm copy available for boxes 1 and 2.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the George Facer Family Organization collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2358; George Facer Family Organization collection; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2358, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- This collection was retained by the Facer family until donated to BYU in 2001. The final family members holding this material were the donors.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Facer family; 2001.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2358.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Hymns; Brigham City (Utah); Cache County (Utah); Florida; Home and Family; Mormon Church--Missions--Southern States; Navajo Indians - Arizona--Arizona; North Carolina; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Salt Lake Valley (Utah); Social Life and Customs; Temple work (Mormon Church); Tennessee
- Genre / Form
- Books; Diaries; Typescripts
- Processing Information
- Processed; Taylor M. Dix; November, 2003.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- George Facer Family Organization collection
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Taylor M. Dix
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-13T15:03-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
George Facer was an early LDS Church member and a convert from England. The George Facer Family Organization was formed in 1928 and was suspended in 2001.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2358
Facer family records
George Facer Family Organization newspaper articles
George Facer family genealogical information
George Facer Family Organization family books
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts