William A. Hightower papers
William A. Hightower papers
Handmade volumes of philosophical writings and essays, poetry, scrapbooks, manuscripts of 16 novels, loose papers, correspondence with his niece and other, photos of other inmates, legal papers, quotations, copyright information, etc.
- Extent: 1 artifact (1 linear ft.). -- 15 cartons (15 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hightower, William A., 1878-1974
- Call Number: MSS 2381
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Access restricted by donor until further notice.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the William A. Hightower papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2381; William A. Hightower papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2381, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Genelle Larson Pugmire in 1989 installment.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Genelle Larson Pugmire; 1989.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2381.xml
- Subject Terms
- California State Prison at San Quentin; Pugmire, Genelle; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Atomic bomb; Literature; Prisoners as authors--California--San Quentin--History; Prisoners--California--San Quentin--History; World War, 1939-1945
- Genre / Form
- Essays; Letters; Manuscripts; Novels; Poetry
- Great Depression
- Processing Information
- Processed; Corey Clement, Brad Westwood editor; 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hightower (William A.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Hightower, William A. (1878-1974)
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-11-10T04:14-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Hightower was convicted in 1921 and sentenced to life in prison for the murder of a Catholic priest. While incarcerated for 42 years at the California State Prison, San Quentin, Hightower gained a reputation as a writer, poet, and philosopher.
comments powered by Disqus