Eugene Fairfield McPike papers
Eugene Fairfield McPike papers
Contains McPike's genealogy research in the Halley, Pyke and MacPike families (all English, among others) and his research for the publications: Hevelius, Flamsteed and Halley: Three Contemporary Astronomers and Their Mutual Relations (London: Taylor and Francis, 1937), and Correspondence and Papers of Edmond Halley (London: Taylor and Francis, 1937). McPike also collected and wrote about Sir Isaac Newton. The papers also include McPike's research materials related to his publications on the international languages Esperanto and Ido. Among his correspondence are letters to and from George Sarton, (the founder of the History of Science Society), the Royal Society of London and Ralph Jermy (R. J.) Beevor.
- Extent: 16 oversize boxes (55.56 linear ft.)
- Creator: McPike, Eugene Fairfield, 1870-1946
- Call Number: MSS 2390
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Restricted, preliminarily processed collection, access is granted through the Supervisor of Reference Services, L. Tom Perry Special Collections.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection has been separated into seven series: 1. Eugene McPike personal and business-related records, 1901-1943; 2. Eugene McPike correspondence, 1905-1938; 3. Eugene McPike research notes and manuscripts, 1927-1944; 4. Eugene McPike "Halley, Flamsteed, and Hevelius" files, 1931-1937; 5. Eugene McPike files on Edmond Halley, 1930-1940; 4. Printed material from McPike's personal library, undated; and 5. Eugene McPike oversize materials, 1907-1943.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Eugene Fairfield McPike collection must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2390; Eugene Fairfield McPike papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations:MSS 2390, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The papers were donated to the San Diego Genealogical Society (later known as the San Diego Multi-Regional Family History Center) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, presumably by the descendants of McPike. In 1988 and 1993 the collection was donated to the Archives and Manuscript Department (later L. Tom Perry Special Collections, BYU) under the accession numbers 1988.080 and 1993.121.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; San Diego Genealogical Society (San Diego Multi-Regional Family History Center) of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; 1988 and 1993.
- Separated Material
- Adams, Herbert Baxter. The Study of History in American Colleges and Universities. Washington: Government Printing Office, 1887. Annals of Science. Vol. 4: Nos. 1-4; Vol. 5: Nos. 1-3; Archibald, Raymond Clare. Outline of the History of Mathematics. Oberlin, Ohio: The Mathematical Association of America, 1939. Barth, Andreas. Der auffgehobene Leid und Freuden Wechsel Welchen Bey ansehnlicher Beerdigung Des Woll Edlen/ Besten und Hochweisen Herren Hr. Johannis Hevelii. Dantzig: Johann Zacharias Stollen, 1688. Bernau, Chas. A. The International Genealogical Directory. Walton-On-Thames, England: [1907,1909,1910,1911]. Bibliotheca Americana: A Catalog of Books Relating to the History of America, Especially the Western Parts. Cleveland, Oh.: The Burrows Brothers Company, n.d. Blomfield, Kathleen and H.K. Percy-Smith. National Index of Parish Register Copies. London: The Society of Genealogists, 1939. Bowens, Bethell Godefroy. Wills and their Whereabouts. London: 1939. Boyd, Percival, comp. Particulars of the New Marriage Index of the Society of Genealogists. London: The Society of Genealogists, 1928. Brandstäter, Franz August. Johannes Hevelius, der berühmte Danziger Astronom. Sein Leben und seine Bedeutsamkeit. Danzig: Edwin Groening, 1861. Burke, Arthur Meredyth. Key to the Ancient Parish Registers of England & Wales. London: The Sackville Press, 1908. Bulletin de L’Institut International de Bibliographie. Année 1905 – Fasc. 1-6. Bulletin of Bibliography and Dramatic Index. Multiple copies of each issue. Vol. 17, nos. 9, 10; Vol. 18, nos. 5-7. Catalogue of the Parish Registers in the Possession of the Society of Genealogists. London: Chaucer House, 1937. A Catalogue of Printed Books and a few Manuscripts on Family History, Genealogy, Heraldry and English Topography….Offered at the Net Prices Affixed by Bernard Quaritch, 1935. A Catalogue of Publications in the Humanities. Washington, D.C.: American Council of Learned Societies, 1932. The Celtic Monthly. Vol. XIV, nos. 1, 6-12. Chapin, Louella. Round about Chicago. Chicago: Unity Publishing Company, 1907. The Child's Bible: Being a Consecutive Arrangement of The Narrative and other Portions of Holy Scripture, in the Words of the Authorised Version. London: Cassell, Petter, and Galpin [1889?]. Church, A.H. The Royal Society: Some Account of the ‘Letters and Papers’ of the Period 1741-1806 in the Archives with an Index of Authors. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1908. ________, comp. The Royal Society: Some Account of the ‘Classified Papers’ in the Archives. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1907. 2 Copies. Commercial Relations of the United States: Reports (Nos. 1, 2, and 3, 1880 and 1881,) from the Consuls of the United States on the Commerce, Manufactures, etc., of their Consular Districts. Washington, D.C.: Government Printing Office, 1881. Cornish, G.E. Universal International Genealogy. Copyright 1910. Davis, Benjamin Marshall. Agricultural Education in the Public Schools: A Study of its Development with Particular Reference to the Agencies Concerned. Chicago: The University of Chicago Press, 1912. De Mayo, Margarita. Nuestros Prosistas y Poetas. Burgos: Hijos de Santiago Rodriguez, n.d. De Onís, Harriet. Spanish Stories and Tales. New York: Pocket Books, 1956. Die Familien DuMont und Schauberg in Köln. Köln: M. DuMont-Schauberg, 1868. Ditchfield, P.H. The Charm of the English Village. London: B.T. Batsford, 1908. Doormann, Carl. Halley und Fermat: Beiträge zur Geschichte der Statistik mit einem Anhang über das Fermatsche Problem. Breslau: Trewendt & Granier, 1925. Duncan, Leland Lewis and Arthur Oswald Barron, eds. The Register of all the Marriages, Christenings and Burials in the Church of S. Margaret, Lee, in the County of Kent, from 1579 to 1754. Lee: Charles North, 1888. Fallon, Carlos. A Variety of Fallon. Boston: Little, Brown and Company, 1950. Filson, John. Kentucke and the Adventures of Col. Daniel Boone. Facsimile reprint of title originally published in Wilmington, [Del.]: Printed by James Adams, 1784; Louisville, Kentucky, John P. Forshaw, Chas. F., ed. Poetical Tributes to the Late Marques of Salisbury. London: Swan Sonnenschein & Co. Ltd., 1904. Fulton, J.F. (John Farquhar). A Bibliography of the Honourable Robert Boyle Fellow of the Royal Society. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1932. ________. "Robert Boyle and His Influence on Thought in the Seventeenth Century." Reprinted from Isis 18 (July 1932). ________. "The Rise of the Expiremental Method: Bacon and the Royal Society of London." Reprinted from Yale Journal of Biology and Medicine (March 1931). Fyfe, James Gabriel. Scottish Diaries and Memoirs, 1550-1746. Vol. 1. Garnier, A.E. The Chronicles of the Garniers of Hampshire During Four Centuries, 1530-1900. Norwich and London: Jarrold & Sons, 1900. The Genealogical Review. Vol. 1 (January and April, 1936). The Genealogical Quarterly. Vol. 1, nos. 1-4. The Genealogists’ Magazine. The Genealogist’s Pocket Library. 8 vols. Walton-on-Thames, England: Chas. A. Bernau, 1908-1910. 1) Some Special Studies in Genealogy, 2) Chancery Proceedings, 3) Royal Descents. Scottish Records, 4) The Churchyard Scribe, 5) Quarter Sessions, Seize Quarters, &c., 6) The Genealogist’s Legal Dictionary, 7) The Parish Register. 8) The Records of Naval Men. Genealogists’ Reference Journal. Vol. 1, parts 1-6. Genealogy and Local History, Catalogue. Nos. 230, 265. Boston: Goodspeed’s Book Shop, . Goodspeed, E.J. History of the Great Fires in Chicago and the West. New York: H.S. Goodspeed & Co., 1871. Halliwell, James Orchard. A Catalogue of the Miscellaneous Manuscripts, Preserved in the Library of the Royal Society. London: Richard and John E. Taylor, 1840. 2 Copies. Harding, Jane D, comp. The Arthurian Legend: A Check List of Books in the Newberry Library. Chicago: The Newberry Library, 1933. Harrison, H.G. A Select Bibliography of English Genealogy with Brief Lists for Wales, Scotland and Ireland. London: Phillimore & Co., 1937. "Henry Guest McPike: A Biographical Sketch." Reprinted from The Journal of the Illinois State Historical Society (July 1912). Hevelke, Johannes. Gert Havelke und seine Nachfahren. Geschichte der Familie Hevelke-Hewelcke und des Astronomen Johannes Hevelius, 1434-1927. Danzig: Danziger Verlags-Gesellschaft. Hiscock, W.G., ed. David Gregory, Isaac Newton and Their Circle: Extracts from David Gregory’s Memoranda, 1677-1708. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1937. The Howard Memorial Library Forty-ninth Annual Report for the Year 1936-1937. New Orleans: n.p., [1937?]. Howe Military School. Vol. 70, no. 1. Information for Mr. John Stuart, Son to Mr. Francis Stuart of Camilla, against Mris. Sybilla Barbour. Edinburgh, ca. 1730. Isis. 12 (May 1929). Janisch, Hudson Ralph, comp. Extracts from the St. Helena Records (Second Edition), and Chronicles of Cape Commanders. St. Helena: Benjamin Grant, 1908. Johnston, Henry P. The Storming of Stony Point on the Hudson, Midnight, July 15, 1779: Its Importance in the Light of Unpublished Documents. New York: James T. White, 1900. Johnston, James Perry. Twenty Years of Hus'ling: Portraying the Peculiar Incidents, Comical Situations, Failures and Successes of a Man who tries almost every kind of Business and Finally Wins. Chicago: Hallet Publishing Company, 1889. The Journal of the British Astronomical Association. 56 (May 1946). Kasten, Lloyd August and Eduardo Neale-Silva. Lecturas Escogidas. Rev.ed. New York and London: Harper & Brothers, .Klavern, G. Van. Het Geslacht Piek. Rotterdam: Nijgh & Van Ditmar’s Uitgevers-Maatschappij, 1916. La Rochefoucauld, François, duc de. Réflexions: Ou Sentences et Maximes Morales. Paris: Garnier Frères, 1957. Lanman, Charles. Dictionary of the United States Congress: And the General Government; Compiled as a Book of Reference for the American People. 5th ed., rev. and brought down to include the Fortieth Congress. Hartford: T. Belknap and H.E. Goodwin, 1868. Lengnich, Carl Benjamin. Hevelius: Oder Anekdoten und Nachrichten zur Geschichte dieses großen Mannes. In Briefen mit erläuternden Zusätzen und Beylagen. Danzig: Jobst Hermann Flörke, 1780. Library of Congress Publications. 1906. List of Members of the British Astronomical Association. 1944. List of the Fellows of the Royal Astronomical Society. 1943. The Magazine of American Geneaology. Nos. 3-10,12. The Magazine of History with Notes and Queries. Vol. I, no. 3; Vol. II, nos. 3,5,6. Manuel pour la formation et l’usage du Répertoire Bibliographique Universel de la Locomotion et des Sports (Tourisme, Cyclisme et Automobilisme). Paris: Institut International de Bibliographie, 1902. Mawson, C.O. Sylvester. Roget’s International Thesaurus of English Words and Phrases. New York: Thomas Y. Cromwell Company, 1931. McAdams, William. Records of Ancient Races in the Mississippi Valley: Being an account of some of the pictographs, sculptured hieroglyphs, symbolic devices, emblems, and traditions of the prehistoric races of America, with some suggestions as to their origin. St. Louis: C.R. Barns Publishing Co., 1887. McPike, Eugene F. "Ancient Comets." Reprinted from Vragen en Mededeelingen op het gebied der Geschiedenis, Taal- en Letterkunde I Ser. I No. 23. ________. "Denton Family Notes." Reprinted from Yorkshire Notes and Queries (August 1908). ________. "Doctor Edmond Halley." N.p., n.d. ________. Dr. Edmond Halley, (1656-1742): A Bibliographic Guide to his Life and Work Arranged Chronologically. London: Taylor and Francis, 1939. ________. Extracts from British Archives. Consists of copies of the Notes and Queries with aricles by McPike on the genealogy of several British families. ________. Extracts from British Archives on the Families of Halley, Hawley, Pyke, etc. New York. Reprinted from The Magazine of History. Second Series (1909). ________. Extracts from British Archives on the Families of Halley, Hawley, Pyke, etc. New York. Reprinted from The Magazine of History. Third Series (1910). ________. "Fullwood: Halley: Parry: Pyke Families." Reprinted from Notes and Queries 11 S. vi. 303 (October 19, 1912). ________. "Fullwood: Halley: Parry: Pyke Families." Reprinted from Notes and Queries 11 S. vii. 203 (March 15, 1913). ________, comp. Genealogy. 2 vols. ________. Halley Bibliography. 16 vols. Consists of copies of the Notes and Queries with articles by McPike and others on Edmond Halley. ________. "Halley and Pyke Families." Reprinted from Notes and Queries 11 S. ii. 44 (July 16, 1910). ________, comp. Halley Pamphlets. ________. "Halleyana." Reprinted from Vragen en Mededeelingen op het gebied der Geschiedenis, Taal- en Letterkunde I Ser. I No. 24. ________, comp. Halley’s Comet. 3 vols. Consists of copies of journals containing articles on Halley’s comet by C.L. Doolittle, E. Vincent Heward, H.H. Turner and others. ________. "Halley’s Verses to Newton." Reprinted from Vragen en Mededeelingen op het gebied der Geschiedenis, Taal- en Letterkunde I Ser. I No. 17. ________. "Intercommunication between Investigators." Reprinted from Vragen en Mededeelingen op het gebied der Geschiedenis, Taal- en Letterkunde I Ser. I No. 20. ________. "James McPike in the Revolutionary War." From the Pennsylvania Magazine of History and Biography (January 1918). ________, comp. Lieut.-Gen. Henry Hawley. Contains articles from the Notes and Queries on Henry Hawley. ________. "MacPike Family." Reprinted from the Register of the Kentucky State Historical Society (July 1940). ________. "Peter the Great and Edmond Halley." Reprinted from Vragen en Mededeelingen op het gebied der Geschiedenis, Taal- en Letterkunde I Ser. I No. 22. ________. Romance of Genealogy. ________. Romance of Genealogy: Part II. Reprinted from The Magazine of History (1912). ________. Romance of Genealogy: Chapter XI. ________, comp. Sir I. Newton and Dr. E. Halley. ________. Some Material for a Pedigree of Dr. Edmond Halley. Exeter: William Pollard. Reprinted from The Genealogist 25 (July 1908). ________. "Stuart: Freeman: Parry: Pyke Families." Reprinted from Notes and Queries 11 S. iv. 164 (August 26, 1911). ________. "Stuart: Freeman: Day: Pyke Families." Reprinted from Notes and Queries 11 S. vi. 25 (July 13, 1912). ________, ed. Tales of our Forefathers and Biographical Annals of Families Allied to those of McPike, Guest and Dumont. Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell’s Sons, 1898. Mitteilung des Westpreußischen Geschichtsvereins. 24 (1 October 1925). Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society. Vol. 105, nos. 5, 6. Moulton, Forest Ray. Consider the Heavens. New York: Doubleday, Doran & Company, 1935. Moulton, H.R. Palaeography, Genealogy and Topography: 1930 Catalogue. London. Nevins, Allan. A Brief History of the United States. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1942. Northup, George Tyler. "The Spanish Prose Tristram Source Question." Reprint from Modern Philology 11 (October 1913). ________, ed. "George Tickner's Travels in Spain." Notes and Queries: For Readers and Writers, Collectors and Librarians. Vol. 167: No. 16; Vol. 184: No. 11; Vol. 185: No. 13; Vol. 186: No. 2, Vol. 187: No. 8; Vol. 189: Nos. 4,13; In bindings titled Halley Bibliography there are various issues of the Notes and Queries. The Observatory. V. 60, no. 761,763; V. 64, nos. 800-811; V. 65, nos. 812-822; V. 66, nos. 824, 825. Osborne, Georgia L., comp. A List of the Genealogical Works in the Illinois State Historical Library. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois State Journal Co., State Printers, 1914. Papers in Illinois History and Transactions for the Year 1937. Springfield, Ill.: The Illinois State Historical Society, 1938. Parry, G.S. Genealogical Abstracts of Parry Wills: Proved in the Prerogative Court of Canterbury down to 1810 with the Administrations for the Same Period. London: George Sherwood, 1911. Pease, Theodore Calvin and Marguerite Jenison Pease. George Rogers Clark and the Revolution in Illinois, 1763-1787. Springfield, Ill.: The Illinois State Historical Library and the Illinois State Historical Society, 1929. Pedigree Register. Vols. I-III. Peeke, Richard. Three to One; The Commendatory Verses; and the Play of Dick of Devonshire. Exeter: James G. Commin, 1905. Peicke, C. Das Geschlecht Piecke. Magdeburg: Druckerei zum Gutenberg, 1915. Peña, Carlos González, Historia de la Literatura Mexicana. 3rd ed. Mexico: Editorial Porrúa, 1945. Ponsonby, Arthur. English Diaries. London: Methuen & Co., . ________. Scottish and Irish Diaries from the Sixteenth to the Nineteenth Century. London: Methuen & Co., . ________. More English Diaries. London: Methuen & Co., . Publications of The Genealogical Society of Pennsylvania. Vol. X, nos. 2, 3, Index; Vol. XI, nos. 1-3, Index; Special Number (August, 1930); Vol. XII, no. 2; Vol. XIII, nos. 1, 3, Index. The Reader’s Guide to the Encyclopedia Britannica. New York: The Encyclopedia Britannica Encyclopedia, 1913. The Register of the Kentucky State Historical Society. 34 (October, 1936). Rye, Walter. Records and Record Searching. 2nd ed. London: G. Allen, 1897. Sarton, George. The Study of the History of Science. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 1936. Schmieden, Joannis Ernesti. Cenotaphium. Illvstri Viro Joanni Hevelio. Gedani: Johannes Zacharias Stollius, [1688?]. Schriften der Naturforschenden Gesellschaft in Danzig. Band 13, Heft 1. Danzig, 1911. Scottish Notes and Queries. John Bulloch, ed. Second Series, vol. 5, no. 12; vol. 6, no.1; all of vols. 6-7. The Society of Genealogists (List of Members) for 1927 (2 copies) and 1936. Summarized Proceedings…Including a Chapter on the Background and Origin of the Association and a Directory of Fellows and other Members. Washington, D.C.: American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1934. Thomson, T.R. (Theodore Radford), A Catalogue of British Family Histories. 2nd ed. London: Edward O. Beck, 1935. Till Per Ahlberg: Världsspråkstankens Svenske Banbrytare På Femtioårsdagen. Stockholm: A.-B. Sandberg Bokhandel, . Transactions for the Year 1933. Springfield, Ill.: Illinois State Historical Society, . Virkus, Frederick Adams. The Handbook of American Genealogy. Vols. 1-3. Chicago: Institute of American Genealogy, 1932, 1937. Waters, Robert Edmond Chester. Parish Registers in England: Their History and Contents, with Suggestions for Securing their better Custody and Preservation, attempted by Robt. Edmond Chester Waters. London: Longmans, Green, and Co., 1887. Westbrook, Mary. Rachel DuMont. Albany, N.Y.: Joel Munsell’s Sons, 1890. Yager, John H., comp. The Alton City Code Comprising the Laws of the State of Illinois Relating to the Government of the City of Alton, and the Ordinances of the City Council. Alton, Il.: Sentinel-Democrat, 1889. Yorkshire Notes and Queries. Vol. 1.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2390.xml
- Subject Terms
- Beevor, Ralph Jermy, b. 1859; Halley, Edmond, 1656-1742; Hevelius, Johannes, 1611-1687; Illinois Central Railroad Company; Newton, Isaac, Sir, 1642-1727; Pike family; Pike, Isaac, d. 1738; Sarton, George, 1884-1956; Astronomy--History; Esperanto; Expeditions and Adventure; Great Britain--Genealogy; Halley's comet; Ido; Immigration and American Expansion
- Genre / Form
- Drafts (Documents); Letters; Maps; Photographs; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Derek Jensen; 2002.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- McPike (Eugene Fairfield) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Derek Jensen
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:29-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
McPike worked for the Illinois Central Railroad Company form 1894 to 1938, was an author in the history of 17th century astronomy and family history and was an elected member of the Royal Society of London. In 1938 McPike retired and moved from Chicago, Illinois, to San Diego, California.
Eugene Fairfield McPike was born to Henry Guest McPike and Nannie Lyon on July 18, 1870 in Alton, Illinois. In 1887, he moved to Chicago and later began work for the Illinois Central railroad company in 1894. He worked in their traffic department until Jul 16, 1906 when he was appointed as a refrigerator service agent. In 1908, while still working for the Illinois Central, he began his service as secretary of the American Railway Perishable Freight Association, which position he held until 1919. In 1910, he attended the Second International Congress of Refrigeration in Vienna, Austria as the U.S. delegate. On January 1, 1912, McPike assumed the duties of the manager of the perishable freight service for the Illinois Central and from 1918-1920, he was a member of the National Committee compiling the Perishable Protective Tariff. McPike’s first wife, Ada Florence Denton, died in Chicago on Nov. 25, 1918. Later, McPike married Mary Julia Wall Dillingham (daughter of Albert Dillingham and Julia Nettie Wall of Indianapolis, Indiana) on Dec. 25, 1932. For McPike, the 1930s was a busy decade. During these years, he prepared and published two important works in the history of astronomy: Hevelius, Flamsteed and Halley: Three Contemporary Astronomers and Their Mutual Relations (London: Taylor and Francis, 1937), and Correspondence and Papers of Edmond Halley (London: Taylor and Francis, 1937). In March 1938, McPike retired from the railroad business and moved to San Diego in the same year. After several years of illness, McPike died at home on August 21, 1946.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2390
Eugene McPike personal and business-related records
Eugene McPike correspondence
Eugene McPike research notes and manuscripts
Eugene McPike "Halley, Flamsteed, and Hevelius" files
Eugene McPike files on Edmond Halley
Printed material from McPike's personal library
Eugene McPike oversize materials
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts