George Willard Harmon papers
George Willard Harmon papers
Collection contains thirty-eight journals belonging to Harmon, documenting his school, work, and family life from 1929 to 1986. Also contains ephemera such as miscellaneous receipts, correspondence, and photographs dated 1932 to 1989 and inserted haphazardly by George W. Harmon into individual journals. The collection is dated 1929-1989.
- Extent: 11 boxes (5.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Harmon, George Willard, 1909-1989
- Call Number: MSS 2407
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in two series: 1.George Willard Harmon journals, 1929-1986. 2.George Willard Harmon ephemera, 1932-1989.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from George Willard Harmon papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2407; George Willard Harmon papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2407, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Ina Mae Harmon Tait in 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ina Mae Harmon Tait; 2009.
- Subject Terms
- Agriculture and Natural Resources; Agriculture--Utah--Saint George; Mormon families--Utah--Saint George; Saint George (Utah); Harmon, George Willard, 1909-1989
- Genre / Form
- Photographs; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; John Murphy; April 2007.Finding aid updated; Margaret Weddle; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Harmon (George Willard) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Karen Glenn, student processor, and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-09-20 14:52:51 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
George Willard Harmon (1909-1989) was a farmer from Utah.
George Willard Harmon was born April 24, 1909 in St. George, Utah, to Melvin Myron Harmon (1861-1938) and Alice Cannon Woodbury Harmon (1870-1964). George graduated from Dixie High School in 1928 and later graduated from Dixie Junior College in 1930. Following graduation from Dixie he worked for one year as a construction worker and farmer. The following year, 1931, he enrolled in the Utah State Agriculture College in Logan, Utah, where he graduated in 1933.
Following graduation, George returned to St. George where he and his brother farmed, raised dairy cattle, and cleaned and processed sugar beet seed for Utah-Idaho Sugar Company. George and his brother eventually split their business assets; George inherited his father's farm where he continued to raise sugar beet seed, as well as fruit, barley, hay, and cane.
On February 28, 1945 George married Clara Hamblin, a school teacher in Mesquite, Nevada, on February 28, 1945, in Mesa Arizona, had four and together they had four children. Over the course of his life George continued to farm.
George Harmon died on November 5, 1989, in St. George, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2407
George Willard Harmon journals
George Willard Harmon ephemera
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts