Ernest Lichfield papers
Ernest Lichfield papers
Contains papers, journals, manuals, newspapers, and photographs related to Lichfield's professional life. Includes patent papers, legal documents, abstracts and photographs concerning the atmospheric testing equipment he invented. Also includes newspaper articles, technical manuals, written by him, and a historical survey on atmospheric balloons, written by Edward Kirschner. Contains data collected (charts and graphs) from balloon testing and photographs of the equipment commonly used. Also contains two scrapbooks with research materials, relevant newspaper articles, electrical and mechanical schematics of the test equipment, personal and professional correspondence, and postcards from various research locations. Includes staff notes and newsletters from the National Center for Atmospheric Research in Boulder, CO.
- Extent: 1 carton (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Kirschner, Edward J.. -- Lichfield, Ernest
- Call Number: MSS 2519
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Preliminary processing completed. Access only with permission of Supervisor of Reference Services.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2519; Ernest Lichfield papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2519, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Items were donated by Mr. & Mrs. Ernest Lichfield, creators, to the L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Brigham Young University, in 2002.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ernest W. & Oneta B. Lichfield; 2002.
- Subject Terms
- National Center for Atmospheric Research (U.S.); Balloons; Inventions; Mormon scientists; Science; Science, Technology, and Health
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Manuals (Handbooks); Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Taylor Dix.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Lichfield (Ernest) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2012-10-22T10:22-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
A scientist holding degrees in both meteorology and electrical engineering, Ernest Lichfield was a pioneer in the field of atmospheric balloon research and weather forecasting. He was employed at the National Center for Atmospheric Research and conducted his studies across the globe, including New Zealand and smaller islands in the Pacific. He was the inventor of the GHOST (Global Horizontal Sounding Technique) balloon apparatus, an innovative system used for upper-level atmospheric data collection.
comments powered by Disqus