Richard H. Cracroft papers
Richard H. Cracroft papers
Collection contains the papers of Richard H. Cracroft, beginning in 1956 with Cracroft's mission, and ending in 2006. They include his personal correspondence, journals, published/unpublished articles, files, and church papers.
- Extent: 39 cartons (39 linear ft.). -- 4 boxes (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Cracroft, Richard H., 1936
- Call Number: MSS 2587
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Richard H. Cracroft papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 2587; Richard H. Cracroft papers; 20th and 21st Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 2587, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated to BYU by Richard H. Cracroft, in several installments, in the years 2000, 2001, and 2003.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Richard H. Cracroft; 2000, 2001, and 2003.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS2587.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Switzerland; Cracroft, Richard H., 1936---Archives; Correspondence; Material Types; Mormon missionaries--Switzerland
- Genre / Form
- Articles; Diaries; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; 2003. Processed; Mary Downs; 2009. Processed; Elizabeth Ballif; 2011.
- Appraisal Information
- This collection includes the papers of a prominent BYU English professor, who also served an LDS mission and in various other LDS Church callings. Collected in Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cracroft (Richard H.) papers
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-09-17T16:28-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Richard Holton Cracoft (born 1936) was a Mormon missionary, professor, university administrator, and ecclesiastical leader in Utah.
Richard Holton Cracroft was born June 28, 1936, in Salt Lake City, Utah. He attended high school in Utah and served as the Senior Class President. After graduating high school, he attended the University of Utah, after which he served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to the Swiss-Austria Mission. Soon after his mission release, he married Janice Marie Alger in the Salt Lake Temple on September 17, 1959. He then continued his education at the University of Utah, receiving his BA in August 1961, and his MA in August 1963.
From 1963 to 1966, Cracroft was an Instructor of English at Brigham Young University (BYU). He then went on to the University of Wisconsin, Madison, to work on his PhD, which he completed in October 1969. He returned to Brigham Young University to be a Professor of English from 1969 to 2001. He retired on July 1, 2001.
During his time at BYU, Cracroft served as Chair of the Department of English, Dean of the College of Humanities, Director of the American Studies Program, and Director of the Center for the Study of Christian Values in Literature. He has also served in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as a bishop, stake president, mission president, and branch president of the Missionary Training Center.
comments powered by Disqus