Hugh Nibley papers
Hugh Nibley papers
Dates: approximately 1844-2008, bulk approximately 1940-2000
Contains the personal and professional papers of Nibley. Includes research notes, manuscripts, photographs, publications, personal papers, and ephemera that document his work as a Mormon scholar, a professor, and a father. Materials date approximately 1844 to 2008.
- Extent: 296 boxes (148 linear ft.). -- 2 cartons (2 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize folder (0.3 linear ft.)
- Creator: Nibley, Hugh, 1910-2005
- Call Number: MSS 2721
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
English, with some materials in German, French, Greek, Latin, Arabic, Coptic, Syriac, Hebrew, and Russian.
- Arranged in seven series: 1. Hugh Nibley family and personal papers, 1920-2006. 2. Hugh Nibley education papers, approximately 1886-1989. 3. Hugh Nibley professional papers, 1844-2003. 4. Hugh Nibley publications and writings, approximately 1911-2008. 5. Hugh Nibley photographs, approximately 1898-2000. 6. Hugh Nibley ephemera, approximately 1920-2000. 7. Hugh Nibley sound recordings, 1964, 1987-1988.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Hugh Nibley papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 2721; Hugh Nibley papers; 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 2721, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Phyllis Draper Nibley in 2009.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Phyllis Draper Nibley; February 11, 2009.
- Subject Terms
- Religion; Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Language and Languages; Nibley, Hugh, 1910-2005; Nibley, Hugh, 1910-2005--Archives; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
- Genre / Form
- Publications; Letters; Research (Document genres); Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, Jon Rainey, Julie Slater, Sarah Phipps Heaton, Marissa Jensen, Rachel Hunt, Sally McDonald, Brittany Chapman, John Crawford, Anela Ormsby, Rachael Givens, and Mary Downs, student manuscript processors, John M. Murphy, curator, and Gary P. Gillum, emeritus librarian; 2011. Processed; Sadie Julian; 2015.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.III, August 2007)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Nibley (Hugh) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Gary Gillum and Sadie Julian
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-04-01 11:22:19 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Hugh Nibley (1910-2005) was a religion professor and author in Utah. He is well known for his writings on the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Hugh Winder Nibley was born March 27, 1910 to Alexander and Agnes Sloan Nibley in Portland, Oregon. He served a mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Germany from 1927 to 1929. Nibley received a PhD in 1938 from the University of California at Berkeley after already graduating in history from UCLA with highest honors in 1934. He then served in the United States Army during the Second World War. In 1946 he married Phyllis Ann Draper and together they had nine children. Nibley began teaching ancient scripture and ancient history at Brigham Young University also in 1946 and he retired in 1975. He is well known as an apologist for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Hugh Nibley died in Provo, Utah on February 24, 2005.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 2721
Hugh Nibley family and personal papers
Hugh Nibley education papers
Dates: approximately 1886-1989----bulk approximately 1922-1973
Hugh Nibley professional papers
Dates: 1844-2003----bulk 1950-2003
Hugh Nibley publications and writings
Dates: approximately 1911-2008----bulk approximately 1950-2008
Hugh Nibley photographs
Dates: approximately 1898-2000----bulk approximately 1940-2000
Hugh Nibley ephemera
Dates: approximately 1920-2000
Hugh Nibley sound recordings
Dates: 1964 September-November----1987-1988
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts