William Gates papers
William Gates papers
Containts transcripts, printers' proofs, grammars, vocabularies, dictionaries, glyph studies, botanical studies, commentaries, articles, editions of codices, personal correspondence, 44 original manuscripts, imprints, maps, charts, drawings, photographs, notes, memoranda, Maya Society materials, genealogies of Maya families, and Mayan glyphs on moveable type. Many of the items are reproductions. The materials relate to the languages history and archaeology of the Indian peoples of Central America, and emphasizes the Mayan and Aztec civilizations.
- Extent: 152 boxes (76 linear ft.). -- 2 oversize boxes (2 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize folder (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Gates, William, 1863-1940
- Call Number: MSS 279
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in eleven series: 1. Correspondence. 2. Papers on collecting activities. 3. Research notes. 4. Writings. 5. Institutional affiliations. 6. Maya Society records. 7. Personalia. 8. Mesoamerican source materials. 9. Collection of texts in native languages. 10. Ethnohistorical materials in European languages. 11. Photographs, postcards, and other material.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from William Gates papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 279; William Gates papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 279, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Ethel Jane Bunting; 1978.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS279.xml
- Subject Terms
- Central America--Antiquities; Central America--Languages--History--Sources; Indians of Mexico--History; Indians of Central America--History; Aztecs--History; Indians of Central America--Languages--History; Indians of Mexico--Languages--History; Indians of Mexico--Antiquities; Gates, William, 1863-1940; Maya Society; Gates, William, 1863-1940--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Notes; Photographs; Maps; Charts, diagrams, etc.; Drafts (Documents)
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Gates (William) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Gareth W. Lowe
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-04-11 18:20:44 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
William Gates (1863-1940) was an author, linguist, archaeologist, collector, publisher, museum director, and president of the Maya Society.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 279
William Gates correspondence
William Gates papers on collecting activities
William Gates research notes
William Gates writings
William Gates institutional affiliations
Maya Society records
William Gates personalia
William Gates collection of Mesoamerican source materials
William Gates collection of texts in native languages
William Gates ethnohistorical materials in European languages
William Gates photographs, postcards, and other material
Dates: approximately 1860-1960
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts