D. Elden Beck papers
D. Elden Beck papers
Collection contains teaching materials Beck used in the classroom and photographs related to his profession.
- Extent: 37 boxes (18.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Beck, D. Elden, 1906
- Call Number: MSS 3061
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in four series: 1. D. Elden Beck letters and other material, 1924-1964. 2. D. Elden Beck course material, 1926-1964. 3. D. Elden Beck photographs. 4. D. Elden Beck negatives, 1939-1956.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the D. Elden Beck papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 3061; D. Elden Beck papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 3061, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Found in the University Archives stacks, August 2004.
- Acquisition Information
- Found; University Archives stacks; 2004.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3061.xml
- Subject Terms
- Beck, D. Elden, 1906---Archives; Brigham Young University. Department of Zoology and Entomology; Colleges and Universities; Education
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Photographs
- Processing Information
- Processed; Bradley J. Gibb, J. Gordon Daines III and Kathryn Schmidt; September 2004.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS scholarship and historiography (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.III, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Beck (Elden D.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Bradley J. Gibb
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-05-25T04:06-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid encoded in English.
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
D. Elden Beck (1906-1967) was a professor of zoology and entomology in Utah.
D. Elden Beck was born on April 11, 1906 in Spanish Fork, Utah to Mitchell Robertson Beck and Ruth Eleanor Davis. He was raised in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and was baptized in 1914. That same year he moved with his family to McGill, Nevada, and then in 1921 relocated again to Lava Hot Springs, Idaho. Beck graduated from Lava Hot Springs High School in 1925, then attended Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. There he studied zoology and entomology, earning his bachelor's degree in 1929 and a master's degree in 1930. He then continued his education at Iowa State College, where he received his Ph.D. in 1933. In May of that year he married Florence Robinson in the Salt Lake Temple; they had four children.
After graduating from Iowa State, Beck was appointed as head of the Biology Department at Dixie State College in St. George, Utah. He taught there until 1938 when he joined the faculty of the Zoology and Entomology Department at Brigham Young University. During the Second World War, Beck left the university to serve in the Medical Entomological Service in the United States Army Medical Department. He served from 1943 to 1945 at bases in the United States and in Guadalcanal. Afterward he rejoined the university faculty, continuing his research on malaria-carrying insects in Taiwan and helping to set up a mosquito abatement program in Utah County. Later in his career he also became involved in studying the effects of atom bombs on the native wildlife in Nevada.
Beck served as chair of the Department of Zoology and Entomology at Brigham Young University between 1962 and 1965. He died in Provo, Utah on August 9, 1967.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 3061
D. Elden Beck letters and other material
D. Elden Beck course material
D. Elden Beck photographs
D. Elden Beck negatives
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts