Gregory J. Newell papers
Gregory J. Newell papers
Collection contains materials pertaining to the life of Gregory J. Newell. It contains documents from birth through high school documenting important accomplishments. Also contains ambassadorial files including travel schedules,conference information, and meetings with other diplomats. Other materials included are personal files, correspondences, photographs, and other materials documenting life events. Materials are dated 1949 to 2014.
- Extent: 40 cartons (40 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (0.75 linear ft.). -- 1 media box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: MSS 3064
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Materials restricted by request of the donor until his death.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in
Englishwith some papers in Swedish.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Gregory J. Newell papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3064; Gregory J. Newell papers; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3064, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Gregory J. Newell donated the collection over the course of 30 years.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Gregory J. Newell; 1985, 1986, 1993, 1994, 2000, 2004, 2014.
- Processing Information
- Processed; Catie Freedman, student manuscript processor, John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Newell (Gregory J.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Catie Freedman
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-17 12:17:09 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Gregory J. Newell (1949- ) is a Mormon political and business leader.
Gregory J. Newell was born on September 30, 1949 in Geneseo, Illinois. He served an LDS mission to France and Belgium. He married Candilyn Jones and together they had 6 children. He attended Brigham Young University and received a political science and international relations degree. He also attended Harvard University and completed the Senior Managers in Government program.
Newell began his political career working for Richard Nixon from 1972-1973. In 1981 he became the Special Assistant to the President and Director of Presidential Appointments. Following that, he worked as U.S. Assistant Secretary of State for International Organization Affairs from 1982-1985. From 1985 to 1989, Newell served as U.S. Ambassador to Sweden. He returned to Sweden in 2011 where he served as a mission president for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints for 3 years.
Newell currently resides in Utah.
comments powered by Disqus