Alexander Greig letter
Alexander Greig letter
Dates: 1844 August
The letter, from Alexander Greig to a "Mr. Jeffery," is about a trip that Greig took to the west with a friend to see about his setting up a doctor's practice somewhere. He provides a brief, paragraph-long description of Nauvoo, which they passed through. "The People however [despite the Prophet's recent death] seemed perfectly quiet, and tranquil. The city looked rather miserabl[e] a great many small houses clustered together on a small Mississippi bottom many of which required eminently the assistance of paint and white wash. The grand temple loomed up in the distance, presenting a fair contrast with the small unhealthy buildings of the town." Grieg is writing from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, and Mr. Jeffrey is in Canandaigua, New York.
- Extent: 1 item (0.08 linear ft.)
- Creator: Greig, Alexander
- Call Number: MSS 3077
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Alexander Greig letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3077; Alexander Greig letter; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3077, LTPSC.
- Related Material
- Alexander Greig letters; Located at Columbia Health Sciences Library. Archives & Special Collections. John Greig papers; Located at Cornell University Library. Division of Rare and Manuscript Collections.
- Subject Terms
- Correspondence; Material Types; Nauvoo (Ill.)--History--19th century
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Greig (Alexander) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-05T04:14-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Alexander Greig was a physician who travelled through Nauvoo, Ill. in August 1844. Greig attended medical school in New York, and was the nephew of John Greig of Canandaigua, N.Y.
comments powered by Disqus