Salisbury family papers
Salisbury family papers
This collection contains materials of Katharine Smith Salisbury, sister of Joseph Smith, Jr., and of her family, especially of her son, Don C. Salisbury, and his descendants. The materials include photographs, letters, sheet music, and restoration project papers.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.25 linear ft.). -- 2 box (1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Salisbury family
- Call Number: MSS 3078
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Photographs kept in cold vault; 24 hours advance notice required to use items.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into 5 series: 1. Salisbury family correspondence, 1850-1979. 2. Music written by Katharine Salisbury's granddaughters. 3. Salisbury family Restoration Project materials. 4. Salisbury family miscellaneous. 5. Salisbury family photographs.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Salisbury family letters and photographs must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3078; Salisbury family papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3078, LTPSC.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Mary M. Dennis.
- Other Finding Aids
- Item-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3078.xml
- Subject Terms
- Salisbury family; Salisbury, Don Carlos, 1841-1919; Salisbury, Katharine Smith, 1813-1900; Smith family; Home and Family; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Family records; Letters; Photocopies; Photographs
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Salisbury family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:26-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The Salisbury family was headed by Katharine Smith Salisbury, sister to the Prophet Joseph Smith. Katharine Smith was born July 28, 1813 at West Lebanon, Grafton County, New Hampshire, the seventh surviving child and second daughter of Joseph Smith Sr. and Lucy Mack Smith. On June 8, 1831 she married Mormon convert Wilkins Jenkins Salisbury, and together they had eight children: Elizabeth, Lucy, Solomon, Alvin, Don Carlos, Emma, Loren and Fredrick. Wilkins Salisbury later apostatized from the Church and was erratic in his support for Katharine and their children. Katharine died of pneumonia on February 2, 1900 in Fountain Green, Illinois.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 3078
Salisbury family correspondence
Music written by Katharine Salisbury's granddaughters
Salisbury family Restoration Project papers
Salisbury family miscellany
Salisbury family photographs
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts