Hans Hansen journal
Hans Hansen journal
Typescript and photocopy of the journal of Hans Martin Hansen while on an mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to Norway, from 20 July 1889 until 7 May 1891.
- Extent: 1 item (238 p.)(0.16 linear ft.)
- Creator: Hansen, Hans Martin, 1856-1939
- Call Number: MSS 3080
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Hans Hansen journal must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3080; Hans Hansen journal; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3080, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Laura Compton.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Laura Compton.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Norway--History; Religion; Fremont (Utah)--History--Sources; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Norway--Diaries; Mormons--Utah--Diaries; Wayne County (Utah)--History
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Transcripts
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Hansen (Hans) journal
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-05T04:21-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Hans Martin Hansen was born in Drammen, Buskerud, Norway, on 8 August 1856. His family joined the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and immigrated to Utah when he was about two-and-a-half years old, crossing the plains in the George Rowley handcart company in 1859. Hans helped survey Rabbit Valley, where he moved in 1878, marrying Helen A. Maxfield on 2 December 1879. He was chosen as counselor in the Fremont Ward bishopric on 24 June 1887 and labored in that capacity until 20 July 1889, when he left on a mission to Norway at age 32. Hansen served until 7 May 1891, returning prematurely due to the death of two of his children. He was appointed bishop of the Fremont Ward on 29 June 1891. He also served in the Wayne County Stake Presidency and was elected as a county clerk and recorder. Hansen died in Salt Lake City on 29 May 1939.
comments powered by Disqus