Harris L. Vincent mission papers
Harris L. Vincent mission papers
The Harris L. Vincent papers include letters, journals, ephemera, greeting cards, and printed materials from Harris L. Vincent's mission to Tonga and World War II.
- Extent: 2 oversize boxes (1.5 linear ft.). -- 16 boxes (8 linear ft.)
- Creator: Vincent, Harris L. (Harris Le Roy), 1917-1991
- Call Number: MSS 3118
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English and Tongan.
- The Harris L. Vincent mission papers contain 8 archival series. These series are arranged by material type. Series I: Harris L. Vincent correspondence. This series includes letters to and from Harris L. Vincent. Series II: Harris L. Vincent journals Series III: Harris L. Vincent notes Series IV: Harris L. Vincent broadsides. These document the official beginning of the War. Series V: Harris L. Vincent ephemera Series VI: Harris L. Vincent photographs and photographic negatives Series VII: Mission Trunk Series VIII: Harris L. Vincent books.
- Conditions of Use
- Permission to publish material from the Harris L. Vincent mission papers, must be obtained from the Permissions & Licensing Office of the University and the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 3118; Harris L. Vincent Mission Papers, 1937-1950; Brigham Young University; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library. Following Citations: MSS 3118, BYU.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Lorraine Ashton in 2004.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Lorraine Ashton; 2004.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Southern States; Greeting cards; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Tonga; World War, 1939-1945
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Letters; Printed ephemera
- Processing Information
- Processed by Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, Curator in 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- Contains materials pertaining to a Utah missionary in Tonga. Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religiou history (19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007.)
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Harris (Vincent L.) mission papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Elizabeth Ballif, student manuscript processor, and John Murphy, Curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-08T11:43-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Harris LeRoy Vincent, son of Daniel Harris and Hulda Amelia Nilsson Vincent, was born 12 October 1917 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He earned his high school diploma from South High in 1935. Vincent attended the University of Utah and played varsity basketball and football. He served an LDS mission to Tongan islands from 1937 to 1940. During his assignment he served as mission secretary. On 16 January 1942, Vincent married Ina Reynolds in the Salt Lake City LDS Temple. Vincent’s five children included two sons, Harris Reynolds Vincent and Theron Reynolds Vincent, and three daughters Janel Vincent Harrison, Shauna Mae Vincent, and Melodie Ina Vincent. Harris LeRoy Vincent worked 40 years as a salesman for Graybar Electric Company. His church callings included: eight years in the bishopric, Sunday School teacher and president, served two Stake missions, and as Stake scoutmaster. He was a High Priest in the Waterloo Ward of the Wells Stake in Salt Lake City. Vincent volunteered for the Community Action Program. Vincent died from a cardiac arrest in Salt Lake City on 19 March 1991.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 3118
Harris L. Vincent correspondence
Harris L. Vincent journals
Harris L. Vincent notes
Harris L. Vincent broadsides
Harris L. Vincent ephemera
Harris L. Vincent photographs and photographic negatives
Harris L. Vincent mission trunk
Harris L. Vincent books
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts