Douglas H. Thayer papers
Douglas H. Thayer papers
Dates: approximately 1950-2009
Collection consists primarily of manuscripts of Thayer's works, including personal notes, publisher/editor corrections and correspondence, and some public response. Also included are various newspaper and magazine articles featuring the author. Dated circa 1962-2009.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 14 cartons (14 linear ft.)
- Creator: Thayer, Douglas H., 1929
- Call Number: MSS 3178
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Literary Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Organized into two series: 1. Douglas Thayer draft notes, circa 1962-2009. 2. Douglas Thayer correspondence, articles, and other material, circa 1962-2009.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Douglas H. Thayer papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3178; Douglas H. Thayer papers; Literary Manuscripts Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3178, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Douglas Thayer in 2005.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Douglas H. Thayer; 2005.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3178.xml Papers of Douglas H. Thayer; http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3178.xml
- Subject Terms
- Thayer, Douglas H., 1929---Archives; Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Literature; Mormons--Fiction
- Genre / Form
- Christian fiction, American--Mormon authors; Letters; Manuscripts, American; Notes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda C. Clark and John M. Murphy; November 27, 2006. Addition processed; Kelsey Samuelsen and John M. Murphy; March 2, 2012. Second addition processed; Kelsey Samuelsen, student manuscripts processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2012.
- Appraisal Information
- Literary Manuscripts because stories and essays are set in America and have Mormon themes.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Thayer (Douglas H.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Amanda C. Clark
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-10-20T04:29-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English
- Biographical Info:
Douglas Thayer (born 1929) is a professor and author in Utah.
Douglas Thayer was born in 1929 and grew up in Provo, Utah. At seventeen, he enlisted in the United States Army, serving in Germany, where he would later return as a missionary. Thayer earned degrees from Brigham Young University (BYU)(BA, English), Stanford (MA), and the University of Iowa (MFA, fiction writing), and had begun doctoral programs at Stanford and University of Maryland when he discovered his passion for fiction writing. He has since published several works in quarterly publications; most of his writing focuses on the Mormon experience, but also reflects his love of the outdoors, which he developed as a child. Thayer is currently a professor of composition at BYU, specializing in fiction writing, but also teaches courses on the short story and Mormon literature, among other things. He is married to Donlu DeWitt, with whom he has six children.
Over the course of his career, Thayer has received a Karl G. Maeser Creative Arts Award, an Alcuin Fellowship in General Education, and several prizes for his work, including a Dialogue Award in Fiction and Association for Mormon Letters awards for short fiction, novels, and lifetime membership. He is currently the author of fifteen short stories and two collections thereof, five novels, an interview, and is working on a memoir and a young adult novel.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 3178
Douglas H. Thayer draft notes
Dates: circa 1950-2011
Douglas H. Thayer correspondence, articles, other material
Dates: circa 1962-2009
Help with this Collection
Curator - Literary Manuscripts