Daniel Francis Thomas family papers
Daniel Francis Thomas family papers
Collection contains materials relating to the Daniel Francis Thomas family. The collction contains photocopies of letters written by Thomas and members of his family, biographies about Thomas and members of his family, as well as legal documents. Items date from 1847-1942.
- Extent: 7 folders (0.15 linear ft.)
- Creator: Thomas, Daniel Francis
- Call Number: MSS 3197
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- The Daniel Francis Thomas family papers includes three archival series: 1. Daniel Francis Thomas family history documents, 1847-1942. 2. Daniel Francis Thomas family correspondence, 1854-1942. 3. Daniel Francis Thomas documents, 1886-1893.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Daniel Francis Thomas family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 3197; Daniel Francis Thomas family papers; 19th Century Western and Mormon Americana; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 3197, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The materials were found in the George Hansen Papers, donated by George Hansen.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; George Hansen; 2009.
- Subject Terms
- Daniel Francis Thomas family; Hansen, George; Mormon families; Mormon missionaries; Ogden (Utah); Wales
- Genre / Form
- Genealogies; Letters
- Processing Information
- Processed; Lindsay Larson; May 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Americana.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Daniel Francis Thomas family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Lindsay Larson
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-15T16:55-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Daniel Francis Thomas (1826-1890) was a welsh convert to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He was the first bishop of the Lynne Ward and served a mission in Wales.
Daniel Francis Thomas was born in South Wales to David Thomas and Hanna Williams Thomas. On May 16, 1847, he was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. After years of serving in Church leadership positions in Wales, he immigrated to the United States in 1855. On November 29, 1856, he married Mary Marguerite Langlois (1834-1864), a French convert, with whom he had five children before her early death. Following the death of Mary, he wed Gustava Frederica Ohlsson (1848-1932), a Swedish convert, with whom he had nine children. In 1872, he married Sarah Ann Yeaman Stone (1843-1906) with whom he had seven children. Always active in the Church, he became the first bishop of the Lynne Ward when it was organized in 1877. In 1886 he was called to return to Wales as a missionary. After returning to Utah, Thomas died suddenly on July 29, 1890 while working in his fields.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 3197
Daniel Francis Thomas family history documents
Daniel Francis Thomas family correspondence
Daniel Francis Thomas documents
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts