Harold Harper Holmes family papers
Harold Harper Holmes family papers
Dates: approximately 1891-2007
Collection contains journals, family papers, professional papers, scrapbooks, correspondence and ephemera that document the life of Harold Harper Holmes and his ties to Idaho. The papers chronicle his professional and family life.
- Extent: 1 oversize box (0.5 linear ft.). -- 23 boxes (11.5 linear ft.). -- 2 cartons (2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Holmes, Harold Harper, 1911-2001
- Call Number: MSS 3220
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Collection arranged in nine series: I. Harold Harper Holmes journals, 1964-2001; II. Harold Harper Holmes autobiographical writings, 1964-1999; Series III: Harold Harper Holmes drug store business ledger, approximately 1942-1943; IV. Harold Harper Holmes ephemera, approximately 1943-1993; V. Harold Harper Holmes family correspondence, approximately 1940-2007; VI. Harold Harper Holmes family scrapbooks, approximately 1932-1991; VII. Alexander Ross Holmes family papers and scrapbook, approximately 1891-1986; VIII. Harold Harper Holmes game, undated; IX. Harold Harper Holmes maps of Idaho, 1896-1974.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Harold Harper Holmes family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3220; Harold Harper Holmes family papers; 19th, 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3220, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- The collection was donated to the Brigham Young University Library by Blair Ralph Holmes, son of Harold Harper Holmes.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Blair Ralph Holmes.
- Related Material
- Related to MSS 3248, Blair Ralph Holmes papers. Blair was the son of Harold Harper Holmes.
- Subject Terms
- Business, Industry, Labor, and Commerce; City and Town Life; Home and Family; Idaho--Maps
- Genre / Form
- Account books; Diaries; Letters; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa Cowles, student processor and John Murphy, curator; 2008.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007) because of the Holmes family residency in the western United States.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Holmes (Harold Harper) family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by John M. Murphy, curator for 20th and 21st Century Western and Mormon Americana, and Melissa Cowles, student processor
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T11:08-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Harold Harper Holmes (1911-2001) operated a drug-store and was an avid genealogist.
Harold Harper Holmes was born December 28, 1911, in Ogden, Utah, to Alexander Ross Holmes and Elizabeth Olive Harper Holmes. Following graduation from Ogden High School in 1929 he relocated to Victor, Idaho, where he took a job in his uncle’s drug store. Two years later, on May 16, 1932, he married Audrey Muriel Berger in Driggs, Idaho.
In 1956, Holmes acquired full ownership of his uncle's drug store which he operated until 1963, when he sold the business. Following the sale of the store, he worked part-time for the National Park Service in Grand Teton National Park and part-time for the city of Victor, Idaho.
A dedicated genealogist, Harold Holmes maintained an active role in the local ecclesiastical unit of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Harold Holmes died June 13, 2001. He was preceded in death by his wife who died on December 20, 1989. Harold and Audrey were the parents of four children: Harold Holmes, Brent Michael Holmes, Garth Harold Holmes, and Blair Ralph Holmes.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series I in MSS 3220
Harold Harper Holmes journals
Harold Harper Holmes autobiographical writings
Harold Harper Holmes drug store business ledger
Dates: circa 1942–1943
Harold Harper Holmes ephemera
Dates: circa 1943–1993
Harold Harper Holmes family correspondence
Dates: circa 1940–2007
Harold Harper Holmes family scrapbooks
Dates: circa 1932-1991
Alexander Ross Holmes family papers and scrapbook
Dates: circa 1891-1986
Harold Harper Holmes game
Harold Harper Holmes maps of Idaho
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts