Blair Holmes papers
Blair Holmes papers
Contains information from both the personal and professional life of Blair Holmes, and includes journals, correspondence and professional papers documenting his life in Utah, his mission in Austria, and family life from 1932-2016. Also includes diplomas and other ephemera of he and some family members from 1932-2008.
- Extent: 11 cartons (11 linear ft.). -- 13 boxes (7 linear ft.)
- Creator: Holmes, Blair
- Call Number: MSS 3248
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Access restricted until one year after donor's death. Permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services for more information.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged in six series: 1. Blair Holmes journals, 1960-2016. 2. Blair Holmes correspondence, 1957-2016. 3. Blair Holmes family papers, 1932-2008. 4. Blair Holmes professional papers, 1972-1987. 5. Blair Holmes mission papers, 1961-1962. 6. Blair Holmes collection of Austria Philatelic Society newsletters, 2001-2010.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Blair Holmes papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3248; Blair Holmes papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3248, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Blair Ralph Holmes in 2006. Donated by Blair Ralph Holmes in 2016.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Blair Ralph Holmes; 2006. Donated; Blair Ralph Homes; 2016.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3248.xml
- Subject Terms
- Education; Colleges and Universities; Social Life and Customs; Home and Family; Education, Secondary--Utah--Provo; Mormon families--Utah; College teachers--Utah--Biography; Mormons--Utah--Biography; Historians--Utah--Biography; Holmes, Blair--Archives; Brigham Young University--Faculty--History; Brigham Young University. Department of History
- Genre / Form
- Personal papers
- Processing Information
- Processed; Melissa Cowles, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator; 2008. Processed; Elizabeth Ballif, student processor, and John Murphy, Curator; 2010. Processed; Pete Hoyt, student processor; 2014. Processed; Susana Zubeldia, student processor; 2016. Processed; Jace Packer, student manuscript processor; 2017.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Holmes (Blair) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- John M. Murphy
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2017-11-10 14:21:11 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Blair Holmes (1942- ) is a history professor in Utah.
Blair Ralph Holmes was born June 29, 1942 in Victor, Idaho, to Harold Harper Holmes and Audrey Muriel Berger Holmes. A member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, he served a mission in Austria between approximately 1961 and 1962. On August 26, 1965 he married Margie Green in the Idaho Falls Temple of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Following graduation from Brigham Young University in 1966, he studied Eastern European history at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado. Holmes completed his PhD in 1972.
He has been employed at Brigham Young University since 1971. He and his wife, Margie, are the parents of six children: Brian, Steven, Christopher, Karin, Robert, and Richard.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 3248
Blair Holmes journals
Blair Holmes correspondence
Blair Holmes family papers
Blair Holmes professional papers
Blair Holmes mission papers
Blair Holmes collection of Austria Philatelic Society newsletters
Help with this Collection
Curator - 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts