19th Century Club records
19th Century Club records
Collection includes club records, including membership records, information regarding each meeting, scrapbooks of club events and members, correspondence between club members and other organizations, and ephemera and artifacts relating to the club's history.
- Extent: 14 boxes (7 linear ft.)
- Creator: 19th Century Club (Provo, Utah)
- Call Number: MSS 3311
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from 19th Century Club records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3311; 19th Century Club records; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3311, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Materials were donated by Betty Tarran, a member of the club since 1969, and president in 1976-78, in 2006. Additional materials were donated by Helen Wilkins, a member of the club since at least 1987, in 2014.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Betty Tarran; 2006. Donated; Helen Wilkins; 2014.
- Subject Terms
- Social Life and Customs; Provo (Utah)--History; Women--Utah--Provo--Societies and clubs--History; Clubs and Societies; 19th Century Club (Provo, Utah); 19th Century Club (Provo, Utah)--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Artifacts; Scrapbooks; Letters; Membership lists; Programs; Corporate minutes
- Processing Information
- Processed; Andrea Wyss, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2011. Processed; Margaret Weddle, student manuscript processor, and John M. Murphy, curator; 2014.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- 19th Century Club records
- Finding Aid Author
- Andrea Wyss
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2015-04-14 13:53:06 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
The 19th Century Club (1891- ) is a women’s club dedicated to individual learning and community enrichment.
The 19th Century Club held its first meeting in Provo, Utah, in 1891, and continues to meet on a regular basis. The club began with the goal of bringing women together to learn as well as to enrich their community. In 1892 the 19th Century Club became one of the first two clubs west of the Mississippi to become a member of the General Federation for Women's Clubs. The 19th Century Club's greatest achievement has been their work fundraising for the first and subsequent Provo City Public Libraries. The Club played an essential role in securing funding from Andrew Carnegie for the Provo Public Library, asking the town to donate a plot of land for the library building, as well as securing books and magazines for the use of the library.
comments powered by Disqus