Leola G. Merrill papers
Leola G. Merrill papers
Consists primarily of personal papers documenting Merrill's authorship of numerous Mormon-themed dramas and programs, but also contains the personal papers and/or memorabilia of her husband, David M. Merrill, her parents, Luman Peter and Veda Jane Walker Green, and David's father, Amos N. Merrill. Materials dated 1911-2002.
- Extent: 11 cartons (11 linear ft.). -- 1 oversize box (1.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Merrill, Leola G. (Leola Green), 1911-2004
- Call Number: MSS 3748
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Leola G. Merrill papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial Citation: MSS 3748; Leola G. Merrill papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following Citations: MSS 3748, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated in 2006. Donated by Leola Kay Richards, daughter of Leola D. Green, in December 2015.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; 2006. Donated; Leola Kay Richards; December 2015.
- Other Finding Aids
- Box-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS3748.xml
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Performing Arts; Provo (Utah)--History--20th century; Art, American--History--20th century; Religious education--Teaching methods--History; Mormons--Utah--Biography; American drama--20th century; Merrill, Leola G. (Leola Green), 1911-2004; Merrill, Amos N. (Amos Newlove), 1875-1953--Archives; Green, Veda J. (Veda Jane), 1888-1981--Archives; Green, Luman Peter, 1887-1980--Archives; Brigham Young University--History--20th century; Merrill, David M., 1912-1997--Archives; Merrill, Leola G. (Leola Green), 1911-2004--Archives
- Genre / Form
- Speeches, addresses, etc., American; Photographs; Videocassettes; Audiotapes; Newspapers; Letters; Autobiographies
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda C. Clark; December 2006. Processed; Eric Wolford; February 2016.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history; LDS scholarship and historiography (20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.VII, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Merrill (Leola G.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Amanda C. Clark
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-05-11 13:13:51 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Library Services and Technology Act (LSTA) grant, 2007-2008
- Biographical Info:
Leola G. Merrill (1911-2004) was a Mormon playwright and performer.
Leola D. Green Merrill was born November 24, 1911 in Lewisville, Idaho. She attended Brigham Young University from 1932 to 1936, graduating in Dramatic Art and Business. She married David M. Merrill after graduation, and went on to have four children. She also wrote and produced over fifty plays, including dramatizations of the lives of Joseph and Lucy Mack Smith, and Mary. Four of these were later produced as films. She has given over 100 performances, hosted her own weekly radio program ("Sabbath Prelude"), served on the Board of Directors of the university's Alumni Association, and supported her husband in his business endeavors. She died in Farmington, Utah on February 4, 2004.
comments powered by Disqus