Amelia M. Beecher papers
Amelia M. Beecher papers
Collection includes mixed materials such as scrapbooks, correspondence, cards, oral histories, cassette tapes, notes, articles, photographs, publications, and various other items. The contents of this collection appear to be oriented primarily around the life of Amelia Madsen Beecher, however there are several references to her mother, Abigal Rees Madsen, her father, Roland Adolph Madsen, and her husband, Asa L. Beecher.
- Extent: 3 oversize boxes (4.98 linear ft.). -- 24 cartons (24 linear ft.)
- Creator: Beecher, Amelia M. (Amelia Madsen), 1915-1992
- Call Number: MSS 3763
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 20th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials are in English.
- This collection has been kept in its original order.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Amelia M. Beecher papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3763; Amelia M. Beecher papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, BYU. Following citations: MSS 3763, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Amelia M. Beecher in 1992.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Amelia M. Beecher; 1992.
- Subject Terms
- Beecher family; Beecher, Amelia M. (Amelia Madsen), 1915-1992--Archives; Madsen family; Correspondence; Home and Family; Material Types; Music; Music--Instruction and study; Social Life and Customs
- Genre / Form
- Audiocassettes; Letters; Notes; Oral histories; Photographs; Publications; Scrapbooks
- Processing Information
- Processed; Kiren Dulai, student processor, and John Murphy, curator; 2010.
- Appraisal Information
- This collection provides insight into the lives of the Beecher and Madsen family. Collected in Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy 5.VII, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Beecher (Amelia M.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Kiren Dulai
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Amelia M. Beecher (1915-1992) was a music teacher and author in Utah.
Amelia Madsen Beecher was born June 6, 1915 in Brigham City, Utah and was an active member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. She married Asa L. Beecher and together they had a son whom they named Dale. In 1953, they moved to Logan and Amy attended Utah State Agricultural College where she majored in Music Education. Having attained her degree, she began to teach third grade at Wilson School in Logan. She soon left this job and became music supervisor for the Logan City schools. Amy decided to go back to school and attended Utah State University where she gained her master's degree while working as a music consultant for the state. Having retired, Amy and her husband Asa served a mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in California. During her later years, Amy also co-authored a book on the Loren and Larua Merrill family. Amy Madsen Beecher died April 12, 1992.
comments powered by Disqus