John Brown Jr. letter
John Brown Jr. letter
John Brown Jr. manuscript letter to his cousin living in Rutland County, Vermont. Written from Attica, Oneida County, New York, 30 July ( 7th Month) 1817. Brown describes the town of Warren, Ohio, where he plans to establish a grocery and drug store with $5,000 in goods, in company with a Mr. Francis. It was to this same town that Sidney Rigdon was about to move, after being ordained a Baptist minister in 1819. Rigdon found his wife Phoebe Brrok in Warren, where he also helped baptize some fifty converts (See Backman, Heavens Resound, p. 12).
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brown, John Jr.
- Call Number: MSS 3888
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from John Brown Jr. letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3888; John Brown Jr. letter; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3888, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Rick Grunder in 1990.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Rick Grunder; 1990.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Ohio--History--19th century; Correspondence; Material Types; Northwest, Old--History; Warren (Ohio)--History
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Broomhead; 24 April 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy of 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Brown (John Jr.) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by H. Christine Broomhead and Karen Glenn, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
John Brown Jr. was an early 1800's resident of the Western Reserve.
comments powered by Disqus