John T. Flake mission journals
John T. Flake mission journals
Two leather bound diaries in ink, 3.5 x 6 inches, containing entries by John T. Flake about his mission to the Northern States, 1909-1910. Also a typed copy of these journals and two earlier ones about the first part of his mission (1907-1908). The journals give accounts of difficulty obtaining food, money, and lodging; prejudice against the Church; riots caused by racism against African Americans; notes on Joseph Smith’s life; visits by mission presidents; tour of Carthage Jail; tour of a power company; and other topics. There are other John T. Flake diaries in the Harold B. Lee Library. The exact beginning and ending dates of each journal and transcript in this collection are as follows: Red handwritten journal: third missionary diary 16 March 1909-4 September 1909 Black handwritten journal: fourth missionary diary: 5 September 1909 - 30 Jan 1910 Vol 1 Transcript (of the first and second missionary diaries we have elsewhere in the library, under MSS SC 2293): 16 June 1907 - 26 September 1908 Vol. 2 Transcript (of the two above handwritten journals) 16 March 1909-30 Jan 1910.
- Extent: 4 folders (0.35 linear ft.)
- Creator: Flake, John T., 1882-1973
- Call Number: MSS 3894
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the John T. Flake mission journals must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3894; John T. Flake mission journals; 19th century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3894, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These two journals were found in 1991 in a shed. They were subsequently donated to the Harold B. Lee Library.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; 1993.
- Related Material
- BX 8670.1 .F59945aa 1984 vol.1 and 2 Flake, John T. Missionary diaries of John T. Flake. All four journals were published in this book. BX 8670.1 .F59945a 1979 Flake, John T., 1882-1973. Autobiography of John T. Flake MSS SC 2293 Flake, John T., 1882-1973. Diary, 1907-1908. The originals of the first two missionary diaries. MSS 4114 Flake, Lucy Hannah White, 1842-1900 Lucy H. Flake letter, 1883. A letter written by his mother.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Northern States Mission--History; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Illinois--History; Flake, John T., 1882-1973--Diaries; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon missionaries--Illinois--Diaries; Mormons--Illinois--History
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Transcripts
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Broomhead; 30 April 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Mormon and Western Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Flake (John T.) journals
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-10-27T04:13-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
John Taylor Flake was born December 28, 1882 in Snowflake, Navajo, Arizona to William Jordan Flake and Lucy Hannah White Flake. He married Carrie Lindsay on May 5, 1910 in Salt Lake City, Utah. After Carrie passed away in 1938, he married Sarah Annis Jackson on May 30, 1945. He passed away on May 3, 1973 in Mesa, Maricopa, Arizona.
comments powered by Disqus