Joseph C. Alden letters
Joseph C. Alden letters
Three letters photocopied, written by Confederate solider Joseph C. Alden to his wife, Jemima, from Fort Pillow, Tennessee, during the Civil War. The letters are dated 8 February 1863, 29 July 1863, and 28 August 1863. The 8 February letter describes the capture of Cushman, a guerilla; the burning of Cushman's home; and some tormenting he received from the boys. It also talks about a parade, a little boy named Billy Richardson who became drum major, and a hurried whiskey-bottle-hiding incident. The 29 July letter talks about the sun's heat, the purchase and arrival of Capt Stoot's sword, petitions to Colonel Wolfe, and other topics. The 28 August letter discusses Alden's chillsthat make him feel very disagreeable and cross, problems trying to get a crowd of men to enter his house one at a time, the weather, his new horse, a request for a new quill pen when Jemima comes, and a complaint: I don't like this place-- it is hard and poor pay.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Alden, Joseph C.
- Call Number: MSS 3902
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Joseph C. Alden letters must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3902; Joseph C. Alden letters; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3902, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Laurel Crenshaw in 1991.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Laurel Crenshaw; 1991.
- Subject Terms
- Correspondence; Material Types; United States--Civil War
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Broomhead; 9 May 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West (Collection development policy of 19th-20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Alden (Joseph C.) letters
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by H. Christine Broomhead and Karen Glenn, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Joseph C. Alden was a Confederate soldier in the American Civil War.
comments powered by Disqus