The cruise of the Petrel
The cruise of the Petrel
The Cruise of the Petrel is a handwritten novel written by Paul W. Belcher when he was sixteen years old in 1900. The cover says, Being the narrative of the cruise of the sleep Petrel on the Great Salt Lake and of the adventures attending its crew. This is the original fourth manuscript, written on lined paper, hand illustrated, 10 chapters, 140 pages. The story is about three boys, Jack, Paul, and Dick, who build a yacht and go on an adventure in the Great Salt Lake. They find radium on a mysterious island. There is also a love story that develops throughout the book. A photocopy is included.
- Extent: 2 folders (0.2 linear ft.)
- Creator: Belcher, Paul W. (Paul William), 1884-1936
- Call Number: MSS 3924
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from The Cruise of the Petrel must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3924; The Cruise of the Petrel; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3924, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Joyce Fullerton in 1992.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Joyce Fullerton; 1992.
- Subject Terms
- Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences; Fiction--History--19th century; Great Salt Lake (Utah)--Fiction; Literature
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Broomhead; 17 May 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West (Collection development policy of 19th-20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Cruise of the Petrel
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by H. Christine Broomhead and Karen Glenn, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:36-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Paul William Belcher (1884-) was an engineer who wrote a novel.
Paul William Belcher was born 4 January 1884 in Waukegan, Illinois. His father was a prominent judge in San Francisco and his mother was one of the first women in banking. He was living in Salt lake City in 1900 when he wrote this story. His early ambition was to follow the army life. He began as an assistant mechanical engineer and worked for the U.S. Steel Corporation in Gary, Indiana/ Later, he became a construction engineer for American Smelting and Refining Company in Hayden, Arizona. He then worked as an engineer in Seattle, Washington and San Francisco. He moved back to Salt Lake City in 1919 and worked in construction engineering.
Information from papers in the case file.
comments powered by Disqus