Karl G. Maeser letter
Karl G. Maeser letter
Karl G. Maeser's letter to Elder Edward Collard is one page long. Photocopy included. It was written from Philadelphia on February 19, 1859. The letter urges President Collard to hurry his emigration because the gold rush was causing the price of cattle and provisions to increase. The letter shows a list of the new prices for provisions. The letter was signed, "In a great hurry, Karl G. Maeser."
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Maeser, Karl G.
- Call Number: MSS 3930
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Karl G. Maeser letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3930; Karl G. Maeser letter;19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3930, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Winifred Olsen Dahl in 1992.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Winifred Olsen Dahl; 1992.
- Subject Terms
- Collard, Edward, 1823-1868; Correspondence; Material Types; Mormons--Emigration and immigration--History--19th century
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Broomhead; 18 May 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy for 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Maeser (Karl G.) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn and H. Christine Broomhead, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:37-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Karl Gottfried Maeser became the second principal of Brigham Young Academy.
Karl Gottfried Maeser was born 16 January 1828 in Meissen, Germany. He immigrated with his family to the United States in 1856 and settled in Salt Lake City, Utah in 1860. Maeser became the second principal of Brigham Young Academy in Provo, Utah in 1876 and served in this capacity for 16 years. He died 15 February 1901.
comments powered by Disqus