Robert Holmes letter
Robert Holmes letter
Includes one handwritten letter (with typescript) written by Robert Holmes to his cousin Francis Holmes. At the time the letter was written, Robert was living in Salt Lake City, Utah Territory, while his cousin Francis was living in Iowa. The letter mentions the disastrous summer of 1855, when the "Mormon Crickets" virtually destroyed the Mormon crops. The letter also mentions other Mormons including John Benbow, Thomas Benbow, John Cole, William and Mary Jenkins, and Benjamin and Mary Taylor.
- Extent: 1 folder ; (0.08 linear ft.)
- Creator: Holmes, Robert, 1816-1908
- Call Number: MSS 3959
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Materials in English.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Robert Holmes letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 3959; Robert Holmes letter; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 3959, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These items were purchased by Special Collections in 1989.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; 1989.
- Related Material
- This item is part of the 19th Century Western and Mormon
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History; Correspondence; Material Types; Mormon Church--History--19th century; Mormon pioneers
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Utah and the American West and LDS cultural, social, and religious history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Holmes (Robert) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:05-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Robert Holmes was born January 19, 1816, in Herefordshire, England, to Robert Holmes and Margaret Deery. He married Elizabeth Cole on June 26, 1838 in England. Robert and Elizabeth traveled to Utah in 1847 where they lived until their deaths. Elizabeth died on March 28, 1882 in Willard, Utah, and Robert died on December 27, 1908, also in Willard, Utah. Francis Holmes was born on July 2, 1815 in Herefordshire, England, to Francis Holmes and Elizabeth Deery. Robert Holmes and Francis Holmes appear to be first cousins on their mothers' side.
comments powered by Disqus