Mahonri M. Young papers
Mahonri M. Young papers
Correspondence, sketchbooks, research files, autobiographical files, scrapbooks, and news clippings. Also includes diaries, address and memorandum books, and financial records. Most letters were exchanged with family members and close friends. Primary correspondents included his son, Mahonri Sharp Young; his first wife, Cecilia Sharp Young; and Mary Lightfoot Tarleton, whom he met in Paris after Cecilia died in 1917. Research files include extensive information on other artists.
- Extent: 79 boxes (39.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Knollenberg, Mary Lightfoot Tarleton. -- Young, Cecilia Sharp, 1872-1917. -- Young, Mahonri Mackintosh, 1877-1957. -- Young, Mahonri Sharp, 1911-1996
- Call Number: MSS 4
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Original sketchbooks restricted. Photocopies of some volumes available for patron use.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Mahonri M. Young Papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 4; Mahonri M. Young papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 4, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Acquired by Brigham Young University from Mahonri Sharp Young and Agnes Cecilia Young Lay, children of Mahonri MacKintosh Young and his first wife, Cecilia Sharp Young. In 1979 BYU received from Mrs. Bernhard Knollenberg (formerly Mary L. Tarleton), correspondence between her and Mahonri M. Young dated 1925-1930.
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS4.xml
- Subject Terms
- Knollenberg, Mary Lightfoot Tarleton--Correspondence; Young, Cecilia Sharp, 1872-1917--Correspondence; Young, Mahonri Mackintosh, 1877-1957--Archives; Young, Mahonri Sharp, 1911-1996--Correspondence; Artists; Branchville (Conn.); Material Types; Mormon artists; New York (N.Y.); Paris (France); Publications; Salt Lake City (Utah)--History
- Genre / Form
- Art; Autobiographies; Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.); Diaries; Financial records; Letters; Scrapbooks; Sketchbooks
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Young (Mahonri M.) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-04-13T04:12-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
American artist and sculptor. Grandson of Brigham Young. Primary places of residence included Salt Lake City, Utah; New York City; Paris, France; and Branchville, Connecticut.
comments powered by Disqus