Orange J. Salisbury letter
Orange J. Salisbury letter
Letter from Orange J. Salisbury (writing from Salt Lake City) to T. H. Latimer of Bay House, Idaho. The letter talks of milling ore, use of sluice boxes, tight money and putting off payday, possibly hiring Italian miners, and other topics. 5 pages, on letterhead of Grant, Redman & Christie of Salt Lake City. Salisbury’s obituary is also included. 2 pages, photocopied.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.10 linear feet)
- Creator: Salisbury, O.J. (Orange James), 1845-1907
- Call Number: MSS 4032
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Orange J. Salisbury letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 4032; Orange J. Salisbury letter; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 4032, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from the California Book Auction in 1988.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; California Book Auction; 1988.
- Subject Terms
- Correspondence; Material Types; Salisbury, O.J. (Orange James), 1845-1907; Salisbury family--Correspondence; Wells, Fargo & Company--History
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- Environmental History (Collection development policy of 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Salisbury (Orange J.) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Karen Glenn, H. Christine Broomhead, student processors; John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-08-17 14:11:21 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
O.J. Salisbury (1945-1907) founded Gilmer & Salisbury.
O. J. Salisbury was an important western stagecoach/freighting operator, mining developer, banker and hotel owner based in Salt Lake city. He founded Gilmer & Salisbury which became one of the larger western stage operations, covering seven states or territories.
O. J. Salisbury was born on July 28, 1945 in Bronx, Richmond, New York. He married Margaret Blaine Walker (year unknown) and they had at least three children. His sons were Orange J. Salisbury, Jr. and R. Walker Salisbury. One daughter’s married name was Mrs. Lewis R. McCornick. He passed away on June 18, 1907 in New York City.
comments powered by Disqus