Ophir Mining District records
Ophir Mining District records
Group of twenty-three manuscript items, 1870's, concerning various claims in the Ophir Mining District, including the Azure Queen, IXL, Thaddeus Stevens, Ivanhoe, et al. Mostly legal size, some of several pages. Includes certified copies of claims, protest & adverse claim, complaint (with printed forms attached), summons, power of attorney, etc. Appears to be the retained file of Selah Chamberlain, from Cleveland, Ohio, owner of several claims. Several items relate to conflicts with other claims on the vein. Included is a bill from his attorneys covering a period of about three weeks for $2350 for various protests, applications for patents and other legal work.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Ophir Mining District
- Call Number: MSS 4083
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Ophir Mining District records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 4083; Ophir Mining District records; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 4083, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Purchased from Bohling Book Company in 1990.
- Acquisition Information
- Purchased; Bohling Book Company; 1990.
- Subject Terms
- Agriculture and Natural Resources; Mines and Mineral Resources; Mines and mineral resources--Utah; Ophir (Utah)--History; Tooele County (Utah)--History
- Genre / Form
- Bills; Claims; Summonses
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Swindler; 29 June 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- Environmental history (Collection development policy of 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ophir Mining District records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn and H. Christine Swindler, student processors, and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:42-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
The Ophir Mining District is located on the west slope of the Oquirrh Mountains in Tooele County, Utah. General Patrick Connor and his soldiers established the Mining District Utah on 6 August 1870. It was separated from the Rush Valley District. Most of its claims were recorded in the 1870's and 1890's, although its boom period was over by 1880.
comments powered by Disqus