Albert Pickup papers
Albert Pickup papers
Collection includes photocopies of newspaper clippings, photographs, and programs documenting the political, personal, and religious lives of Albert and Jeanie Pickup. Much of the collection is dedicated to Albert Pickup’s political activities in England as well as his tenure as Mayor of Burnley. The couples’ marriage, membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and life as foster parents is also discussed in the collection.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Pickup, Albert, 1916-2006
- Call Number: MSS 4140
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Albert Pickup papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 4140; Albert Pickup papers; 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 4140, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Hollis Scott in 1987.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Hollis Scott; 1987.
- Related Material
- MSS OH 1339
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Burnley (England); Civic Activism; Politics, Government, and Law
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Megan Mathews; 18 July 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Pickup (Albert) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn and Meghan Mathews, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:45-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Albert Pickup (1916-2006) was an LDS convert who was the Mayor of Burnley.
Albert Pickup was born 13 May 1916 in Darwin, England to Hubert and Rose Hannah Gadfield Pickup. He joined the Army in 1940 and upon returning home he began his political career. In 1948 he abandoned his loyalties with the Labour Party and joined the Conservatives. That same year he became a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. He married Jeanie Finlay Walker in January 1959 in London, England. In 1978 he was elected Mayor of Burnley, becoming the first Mormon to hold the position. Albert Pickup remained politically active until his death on 7 September 2006 in Burnley, Lancashire, England.
comments powered by Disqus