An ancient medical textbook originally written in Sanskrit circa 400 AD and transcribed into Malayalam on palm leaves, circa 18th or 19th century. Consists of 100 leaves, 2 by 18 inches. Leaves one, two, and one hundred are blank, all others contain text written in small, neat hand in Malayalam, the Indian language spoken in Kerala. The manuscript is protected by two wooden teak boards and encased in a burlap bag.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Call Number: MSS 4149
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Ashtanga Hridaya must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 4149; Ashtanga Hridaya; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 4149, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- In 1982, Dr. William Mulder was given this book by P. Jayendran, from the Department of English of St. Joseph’s College, Calicut, India. He donated the item in 1985.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; William Mulder; 1985.
- Subject Terms
- Antiquities--India--19th century; India--Medicine--History; Medicine and Health; Science, Technology, and Health
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Swindler; 17 July 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- Ethnic and minority history (19th century Western & Mormon Manuscripts collection development policy, 5.IV, 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Ashtanga Hridaya
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Karen Glenn and H. Christine Swindler, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2013-07-08T12:08-0600
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus