Mormon emigration records
Mormon emigration records
Papers about the emigration of Mormons from England to Utah. Writers of letters include Godfrey Lushington, Julian Pauncefote[ ], M. J. Hoppin, A. F. G. Liddell, J. Vaughan, William M. Everts E. Y. N. Henerson. They are all men in service of the British government (in the United States Charge of Affairs), and correspond under the direction of the Queen of England. The British government's United States Charge of Affairs seems to be in a panic about the "evils" connected with Mormon immigration to the United States. The United States Government has asked for Britain's cooperation with putting an end to the adoption of Mormon doctrines by British subjects. J. Vaughan (from the Police Court) responds to this idea in his 1879 letter to Honorable A. F. G. Liddell. He writes that the British government does not have power to "institute inquisitional examinations into the private opinions which British subjects hold on questions of Religion or morality." There are proposals to put into the British newspaper a caution against joining the Mormon church.
- Extent: 1 oversize folder (1.66 linear ft.)
- Creator: Great Britain
- Call Number: MSS 4150
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Mormon emigration records must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 4150; Mormon emigration records; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 4150, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- These items were donated to Special Collections in 1980.
- Acquisition Information
- Donation; Public Records Office; 1980.
- Related Material
- These items are part of the 19th Century Western and Mormon Americana Archives.
- Subject Terms
- Immigration and American Expansion; Mormon pioneers--History; Pioneers; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Mormon emigration records
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-05T04:19-0700
- Finding Aid Language
comments powered by Disqus