George A. Smith letter
George A. Smith letter
Photocopied holograph letter from George A. Smith, writing from the historian’s office in Salt Lake, to his cousin, Silas S. Smith. June 29, 1855. Smith reports on a journey northward taken by Governor Brigham Young and others to ascertain Utah’s border with Oregon territory. He discusses preparations for the Fourth of July, the progress on the Temple and other buildings and grasshopper damage to crops. He reports on friends and relatives. 4 leaves.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Smith, George A. (George Albert), 1817-1875
- Call Number: MSS 4158
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the George A. Smith letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 4158; George A. Smith letter; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 4158 , LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Steve Whitlock in 1993.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Steve Whitlock; 1993.
- Subject Terms
- Salt Lake Temple--History--Sources; Smith family; Young, Brigham, 1801-1877; Correspondence; Material Types; Mormons--History; Utah--Boundaries--History
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; H. Christine Swindler; July 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy of 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Smith (George A.) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by H. Christine Swindler, Karen Glenn, student processors; John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:45-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
George A. Smith was born in 1817 in New York and died 1875 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus