Levi Savage diaries
Levi Savage diaries
Handwritten diaries. The original items are housed in two boxes while the photocopies of these materials are housed in three. There are many gaps in the entries including a sixteen-year gap from 1861 to 1877. Savage writes about his mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints to "Siam" (Thailand) from 1852 to 1856. He travelled to Rangoon from Salt Lake City, Utah, by way of San Francisco and Calcutta. He returned by way of Calcutta, England, and New York City. He was one of the leaders of the ill-fated Willie handcart company in 1856 and presents one of the most important and detailed accounts of that disaster. Savage lived in Toquerville, Utah, was a polygamist, and served time in prison for having more than one wife.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Savage, Levi, 1820-1910
- Call Number: MSS 417
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Due to the poor condition of the original diaries, photocopies of the items are to be used by the patrons.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 417; Levi Savage diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 417, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Missions--Thailand--History; Savage, Levi, 1820-1910; Religion; Immigration and American Expansion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon handcart companies--History--Sources; Mormon missionaries--Thailand--History--Sources; Mormon pioneers--History; Mormons--Utah--Salt Lake City--History; Mormons--Utah--Toquerville--History--Sources; Pioneers; Polygamy--Religious aspects--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History; Salt Lake City (Utah)--History; Toquerville (Utah)--History
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Electronic books
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Savage (Levi) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Garrett Schroath
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-01-05T04:15-0700
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon pioneer, missionary, and polygamist.
comments powered by Disqus