Reuben Gardner Miller papers
Reuben Gardner Miller papers
Collection contains Reuben Miller's diaries and daily business memoranda from 1838-1953. These include short daily or weekly notations of personal, financial, and church related activities. It also preserves much of his personal correspondence and a collection of genealogical data accumulated by him. Within the genealogy section are collected biographies of other Utah pioneers, some of whom are related to him. Some are first person accounts. Miller's correspondence reflects his feelings and experiences following excommunication from The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Although the reasons are not apparent from the documents, his attitude following this event was repentant and, apparently, he was later restored to full membership.
- Extent: 5 boxes (2.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Miller, Reuben Gardner, 1861
- Call Number: MSS 418
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Arranged into nine series: 1. Biographical sketches. 2. Mission papers. 3. Diaries. 4. Correspondence. 5. Daily memoranda books. 6. Business papers. 7. Genealogical papers. 8. Papers on Church service. 9. Miscellany.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Reuben Gardner Miller papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Unpublished register available in repository.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 418; Reuben Gardner Miller papers; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 418, LTPSC.
- Separated Material
- A number of print items received with the collection were separated during processing. These items include "Take Heed", by Elder Charles A. Callis; "Universal Salvation;" "Baptism: The Birth of Water and of the Spirit", by Elder Orson F. Whitney; "Three Degrees of Glory", by Melvin J. Ballard; "The Divine Mission of Joseph Smith", by John A. Widtsoe; "Official Statement from the First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints", issued June 17, 1933; "President Woodruff's Manifesto;" "Remarkable Visions of George Washington, Newman Buckley, S. M. Farnsworth, and C. D. Evans;" "Gospel Problems;" "Tithing;" "Youth the Promise of Christianity", by Stephen L. Richards; "Family Solidarity;" "Sermon by Brigham Young", delivered May 29, 1847; "Some Factors in the proposed Post-War International Pattern", by Hon. J. Reuben Clark, Jr.; "A Word of Warning;" "A Divine Ultimatum to Gentiles, Jews and Sinners;" "An Open Letter to Dr. James E. Talmage;" "Free Press? Free Speech? Free Trade? Free Love?;" "A Crazy World: Government: Price-Fixing versus Incorporated Price Freezing;" and "World Paralysis."
- Other Finding Aids
- File-level inventory available online. http://files.lib.byu.edu/ead/XML/MSS418.xml
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Forest Dale Ward (Forest Dale, Utah); Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Southern States--History; Eastern Utah Telephone Company--History; Gardner, Robert, 1819-1906; Miller, James Robison, 1838-; Miller, Mary Jane Gardner, 1843-; Miller, Reuben Gardner, 1861---Diaries; Miller, Reuben, 1811-1882; Taylor, Frank J., 1894-1972; Winder, E. J.; Carbon County (Utah)--History; Emery County (Utah)--History; Excommunication--Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History; Immigration and American Expansion; Missionaries
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Electronic books
- Processing Information
- Processed; Dennis Rowley and Heidi Rudé; 1980.
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts. This collection is of value to the researcher in the field of early Utah history. It sheds light on business practices as well as daily living around 1900 in Utah. The family records and accounts will be valued by the genealogical researcher. Also, Miller gathered an assortment of religious brochures published by the L. D. S. Church in the early 1900's.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Miller (Reuben Gardner) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Megan Furcini
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-04-06T04:15-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Reuben Gardner Miller (born 1861) was a Utah legislator, president of the Emery Stake for the Mormon Church, stock raiser, and organizer of the Eastern Utah Telephone Company.
Reuben Gardner Miller was born in 1861 in a log cabin in Millcreek, Utah. He was a descendant of Reuben Mill and Robert Gardner who arrived in the Salt Lake Valley as Mormon pioneers in the years 1847 and 1849.
On December 10, 1884 he married Anna Jane Winder in the Logan Temple. Seven sons and two daughters were born to this couple.
He spent his adult years in Price, Utah, where he raised stock and at the turn of the century organized the Eastern Utah Telephone Company. He served in the first and third sessions of the Utah Legislature, was elected Mayor of Price, Utah, and later served as county commissioner.
Miller devoted much time to service in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. His mission service took him to the southern states during the years 1888-1890. He was a member of the Emery Stake Presidency for twelve years.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 418
Reuben Gardner Miller biographical sketches
Reuben Gardner Miller mission papers
Reuben Gardner Miller diaries
Reuben Gardner Miller correspondence
Reuben Gardner Miller daily memoranda books
Reuben Gardner Miller business papers
Reuben Gardner Miller genealogical papers
Reuben Gardner Miller papers on church service
Reuben Gardner Miller miscellany
Help with this Collection
Curator - 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts