William Clayton diary
William Clayton diary
Typewritten copy of a handwritten diary. Clayton kept this diary from 1 Jan. 1840 to 13 Feb. 1842. Clayton writes about his missionary activities for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England and his return to the United States. He also writes about his daily activities in Nauvoo, Illinois. This item was typed by Alan S. Young in 1961. Also included are extensive footnotes relating to Clayton's entries into his journal. Clayton's diary was published by James B. Allen and Thomas G. Alexander under the title: "Manchester Mormons: the Journal of William Clayton."
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.) : 107 p.
- Creator: Clayton, William, 1814-1879
- Call Number: MSS 423
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Diary must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 423; William Clayton diary; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 423, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Clayton, William, 1814-1879--Diaries; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Great Britain--History--19th century; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Mormon Church--Missions--England--History; Mormon missionaries--England--History; Mormons--England--History; Mormons--Illinois--Nauvoo--History; Nauvoo (Ill.)--History
- Genre / Form
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Clayton (William) diary
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Rose Frank
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2014-03-23T04:21-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Mormon pioneer, missionary, and auditor of public accounts for the Utah Territory from 1848 to 1879.
comments powered by Disqus