Jesse Bigler Martin diaries
Jesse Bigler Martin diaries
Handwritten diaries with a typed copy of one volume. Martin kept diaries apparently in three volumes. The second and third volumes covering the time from 1854 to 1857 are found with the collection. A typed copy of the first diary covering the years from 1853 to 1854 is also included. Martin writes about his work as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in England. He returned to the United States in 1857 and traveled by rail to Iowa City, Iowa. Martin writes in detail about preparation for the overland journey. He left Iowa City for Florence, Nebraska, where he continued the overland journey by ox team to Utah. The diary ends near Chimney Rock, Nebraska. Martin is a detailed diarist and describes travelling conditions and trail geography, his duties as captain, deaths from disease and accident, and several disputes within the company. Martin also gives a record of his expenses, the names of his family and their birthdates, and a list of addresses at the end of the diary. Photocopies of transcripts of the diaries are also included in the collection.
- Extent: 3 v. (0.18 linear ft.)
- Creator: Martin, Jesse Bigler, 1825-1908
- Call Number: MSS 446
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Condition restricted; permission to use materials must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services. Patrons should use photocopies and typescripts.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Jesse Bigler Martin diaries must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 446; Jesse Bigler Martin diaries; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 446, LTPSC.
- Subject Terms
- Mormon missionaries--England--Diaries; Overland journeys to the Pacific; Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints; Religion; Missions and Missionaries; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Immigration and American Expansion; Overland Journeys to the Western United States; Pioneers; Mormon pioneers--West (U.S.)--Diaries; Mormon converts--England--Diaries; Martin, Jesse Bigler, 1825-1908--Diaries
- Genre / Form
- Diaries; Photocopies; Typescripts
- Appraisal Information
- 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts.
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Martin (Jesse Bigler) diaries
- Finding Aid Author
- Benjamin Sipes
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2016-02-19 11:38:57 -0700.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Jessee Bigler Martin (1825-1908) was a Mormon missionary and pioneer, soldier in the Mormon Battalion, and farmer who settled in Millard County, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus