Horsley and Burt family papers
Horsley and Burt family papers
A Friendly Discussion Upon Religious Subjects, by Ben E. Rich, ca. 1890. Tract No. 2: The Plan of Salvation as taught by the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, by Elder John Morgan, belonging to Louise Horsley of 40 South 100 West, Brigham, Utah; for sale at the office of the Millennial Star in Liverpool, England, ca. 1850. The Latter-Day Saint’ Millennial Star, April 9, 1853. Advertisement for Salt Lake Business College, located in the Templeton Building, Salt Lake City, July 15th, 1897. Correspondence of William Horsley, 1886, 1901. William Horsley’s scrapbook of clippings from British and American newspapers, poetry, letters, thoughts, etc., (including his Patriarchal Blessing, 1886, poetry from his wife, a letter of appointment as President of the Bristol Conference, 1900, and the Articles of War of the Salvation, ca. 1890), Jan. 1885 – March 1902. 1 ledger, entitled Record. High Priest’s Quorum, Box Elder Stake of Zion, November 13, 1877. John [D.] Burt, Clk.; contains records of Church births, baptisms, ordinations in that Stake, 1808-1877; also accounts of High Priest’s Quorum meetings (when, where, who prayed, what was sung, and a detailed account of what was discussed), November 27, 1877 – December 28, 1881, minutes for November 1883 - April 30, 1892, and attendance 1877-1891.
- Extent: 1 box (0.5 linear ft.)
- Creator: Horsley, William, 1847-1920
- Call Number: MSS 5864
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Horsley and Burt family papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 5864; Horsley and Burt family papers; 19th - 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 5864, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by A. Burt Horsley in 1995.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; A. Burt Horsley; 1995.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--Doctrines; Religion; England; Mormon Church--England; Mormon Church--Utah
- Genre / Form
- Letters; Pamphlets
- Processing Information
- Processed; Amanda Clark; August 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy of 19th - 20th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Horsley and Burt family papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Amanda Clark, Karen Glenn, student processors; John M. Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:49-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
William Horsely (1847- ) married Elizabeth Preston Welch and had 8 children.
William Horsley was born in Hackney, London, on November 20, 1847 (FamilySearch says Soham, Cambridgeshire in 1842), to John Richard and Susan (or Cezanne) Clements Horsley. He married Elizabeth Preston Welch (31 March 1848), the third of fourteen children born to John and Eliza Billington Welch, on March 9, 1867, in Salt Lake City. They settled in Brigham City and raised 8 children: William Clements (16 Jan. 1868), John Henry (29 Dec. 1869), Clarence Eugene (8 April 1872), Ernest Preston (19 Mar. 1875), Lizzie Louise (26 Oct. 1878), Lottie Eliza (19 Dec. 1883), Susan Lillian (2 May 1888), and LeGrande William (23 Aug. 1891).
comments powered by Disqus