Brigham Young letter
Brigham Young letter
A letter written by Brigham Young in 1868 to each Captain of a Company. The letter is dated 6 July 1868 and includes important instructional information, including the importance of keeping accurate notes and records while traveling in companies.
- Extent: 1 folder (0.1 linear ft.)
- Creator: Young, Brigham, 1801-1877
- Call Number: MSS 5875
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; 19th Century Western & Mormon Manuscripts; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84606; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from the Brigham Young letter must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Board of Curators.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 5875;Brigham Young letter; 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 5875, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by Stephen C. Lunsford in 1989.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Stephen C. Lunsford; 1989.
- Subject Terms
- Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints--History--19th century; Church Government; Mormonism (Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints); Religion
- Genre / Form
- Processing Information
- Processed; Meghan Mathews; 17 August 2007.
- Appraisal Information
- LDS cultural, social, and religious history (Collection development policy of 19th Century Western and Mormon Manuscripts, August 2007).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Young (Brigham) letter
- Finding Aid Author
- Finding aid prepared by Meghan Mathews and Karen Glenn, student processors and John Murphy, curator
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using the Archivists' Toolkit 2010-10-07T15:49-0600
- Finding Aid Language
- Finding aid written in English in Latin script.
- Biographical Info:
Brigham Young (1801-1877) succeeded Joseph Smith as the president of the LDS church. He led the great pioneer movement of LDS saints from Illinois to Utah.
Brigham Young was born 1 June 1801 in Whitingham, Windham, Vermont to Abagail Nabby Howe and John Young. He joined the LDS church in 1832 and became a member of its Quorum of the Twelve Apostles in 1835. When the church's first president, Joseph Smith, died in 1844, Brigham succeeded him. He led the great pioneer movement of LDS saints from Illinois to Utah and directed the work of gathering members from the east and other countries soon after. In 1875 he founded Brigham Young Academy, which later became Brigham Young University. Brigham died 29 August 1877 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
comments powered by Disqus