Peter Brosnan papers
Peter Brosnan papers
Papers, VHS videotapes, DVD about motion picture filming at the Guadalupe Dunes, CA, with an emphasis on Cecil B. DeMille's 1923 version of The Ten Commandments and Brosnan's excavation of some of its original sets. Papers on Brosnan's excavation and the Lost City documentary. Dated 1923-2014.
- Extent: 2 boxes (1.0 linear ft.). -- 9 cartons (9 linear ft.). -- 1 folder (0.01 linear ft.)
- Creator: Brosnan, Peter
- Call Number: MSS 5905
- Repository: L. Tom Perry Special Collections; Arts & Communications Archives; 1130 Harold B. Lee Library; Brigham Young University; Provo, Utah 84602; http://sc.lib.byu.edu/
- Access Restrictions: Open for public research.
- Languages and Scripts
- The collection is arranged into 4 series: 1) Materials related to the Ten Commandments films, approximately 1923-2012, 2) Materials related to the Lost City excavation and film, approximately 1983-2014, 3) Biographies of related individuals and companies, approximately 1923-2014 and 4) Media, approximately 1985-2014.
- Conditions of Use
- It is the responsibility of the researcher to obtain any necessary copyright clearances. Permission to publish material from Peter Brosnan papers must be obtained from the Supervisor of Reference Services and/or the L. Tom Perry Special Collections Coordinating Committee.
- Preferred Citation
- Initial citation: MSS 5905; Peter Brosnan papers; Arts and Communications Archives; L. Tom Perry Special Collections, Harold B. Lee Library, Brigham Young University. Following citations: MSS 5905, LTPSC.
- Custodial History
- Donated by the creator, Peter Brosnan, in 2007 and May 2017.
- Acquisition Information
- Donated; Peter Brosnan; 2007. Donated; Peter Brosnan; May 2017.
- Subject Terms
- Media and Communication; Social Life and Customs; Guadalupe-Nipomo Dunes National Wildlife Refuge (Calif.); Motion picture producers and directors--United States--History; Brosnan, Peter--Archives; DeMille, Cecil B. (Cecil Blount), 1881-1959; Curtis, Edward S., 1868-1952
- Genre / Form
- Research (Documents); Videocassettes
- Ten commandments (Motion picture : 1923); Lost city of Cecil B. DeMille (Motion picture)
- Processing Information
- Processed; Norm Gillespie; April 2010. Processed; Maddi Stanley; June 2017.
- Appraisal Information
- DVD, open-reel audio tape, and digital audio tape (Brigham Young University Film Music Archives collecting policy, I, February 1999).
- Finding Aid ID Number
- Finding Aid Title
- Brosnan (Peter) papers
- Finding Aid Author
- Norm Gillespie
- Finding Aid Creator
- This finding aid was produced using ArchivesSpace on 2018-03-26 10:42:10 -0600.
- Finding Aid Language
- Biographical Info:
Edward S. Curtis (1868-1952) was a photographer.
Edward Sheriff Curtis was born February 16, 1868 in Whitewater, Wisconsin to Asahel Curtis and Ellen Sheriff. He was a photographer who focused mainly on Native Americans. In 1891 he moved to Seattle, Washington, and opened a photography studio with Rasmus Rothi. He was invited by Theodore Roosevelt in 1904 to be the White House photographer. Cecil B. DeMille hired Curtis in 1936 to be a second unit cameraman and photographer for his motion picture plains films. Edward S. Curtis died October 18, 1952 in Whittier, California.
Cecil B. DeMille (1881-1959) was an American motion picture producer and director, considered the archetype of the American film mogul. His 70 films reflect changing American tastes and values, and he was particularly noted for his multimillion-dollar spectacles.
Cecil B. DeMille was born on August 12, 1881 in Ashfield, Massachusetts to Henry Churchill de Mille and Matilda Beatrice Samuel de Mille. DeMille started acting on Broadway in 1900 and by 1913 he joined a film studio partnership which would eventually become Paramount Pictures. DeMille had a long and storied career as a filmmaker and directed several epic films, such as the Ten Commandments (1956). DeMille died on January 21, 1959 in Hollywood, California.
Peter Brosnan (b. 1952) is a writer and director.
Peter Brosnan was born July 6, 1952. He studied at the film school at New York University. He is known for his most recent documentary, The Lost City of Cecil B. Demille, as well as Perfect Target and Hit List.
comments powered by Disqus
Search this Collection
Yellow highlight indicates current location in collection description
Series in MSS 5905
Materials related to the Ten Commandments films
Dates: approximately 1923-2012
Materials related to the Lost City excavation and film
Dates: approximately 1983-2014
Biographies of related individuals and companies
Dates: approximately 1923-2014
Dates: approximately 1985-2014
Help with this Collection
Curator - Arts & Communications Archives